Author Topic: 71 firewall heater hose foam seal  (Read 2177 times)

Offline dkborkstang

71 firewall heater hose foam seal
« on: October 28, 2015, 06:41:45 PM »
I have a 71 Mach with the 351 Cleveland engine and no A/C  Originally it had a foam seal in the engine compartment at the firewall where the heater hoses connected to the heater core.  The foam got rotten and fell away.  I would like to know where I can find a new one.  I have seen this foam seal on cars like mine at shows, but I can't seem to find where to get one.  The common mustang suppliers don't seem to carry this item.  Any help would be appreciated. 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 71 firewall heater hose foam seal
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 02:28:04 AM »
Must be referring to this simple shield sort of seal

May need to make your own after you fashion a cut pattern. Material looks like what is sold in heater seat kits (but thicker) or what is sold as heater core end caps.

Might want to check tool box drawer liners also - sure the bulk material is out there - just have to get creative.

And never make one. If you make a pattern and find a sheet of the material cut a dozen or what ever will fit, keep a couple for spars for yourself, then sell the rest to recoup some of the expense.

And take picture - then you can make a thread (or we can create an article) showing how you did it ;)

Just a thought

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline dkborkstang

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 10:11:45 AM »
Jeff,
Yes, that is the item that I am looking for.  I have seen some really nice ones on restored cars.  I was hoping to find one and not make one.  However, as you said I will probably end up making one. 
Dave

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 04:29:44 PM »
Maybe they are out there in reproduction form. Looked to the usual suppliers and didn't find any listed either.

Jeff Speegle

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 07:49:46 PM »
Mac's has this listed for 64-66 T-Bird. Looks very similar.

http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_thunderbird/ford-thunderbird-heater-core-tube-seal-without-air-conditioning-1964-66.html

Basic P/N is 18596, "Gasket - Heater Core Tube". Your application is not listed in the May '75 MPC. It states "if not listed - improvise".
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 08:13:08 PM »
Mac's has this listed for 64-66 T-Bird. Looks very similar.

http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_thunderbird/ford-thunderbird-heater-core-tube-seal-without-air-conditioning-1964-66.html

Looks a bit smaller than the original examples above - but good try
Jeff Speegle

Offline nham3407

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 11:33:20 AM »
dkborkstang, I had the same problem.  I found a heater core on eBay with the pad included. The seller was gracious enough to measure the pad and sent me the dimensions.  Here they are:

I tried Classic Auto Air and Vintage AC to see if they may have had either the foam material or the part with no luck.  I ended up locating a foam material that was a very close match to what I had seen in OE seals.  It actually was the foam used in Audio Video equipment cases. The foam that is cut to snuggly fit the equipment to keep it from shifting.

I still have the material and I am sure I can find the dimensions somewhere.  PM me and I will look for all of the info.  I could probably make you one if you would like.
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 12/67 (Red)
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 6/68 (White)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 12:38:04 PM »
There are two basic type of foam rubber that might be used as a seal, what is called "open cell" and what is called "closed cell". An open cell seal would absorb liquid, oil, water, etc, and would also allow gasses (read fumes) to pass thru (surface like a sponge). A closed cell seal would not (surface smooth, like a radiator hose). So far, all the seals I've seen used on cars were the closed cell type. The picture of the seal from Mac's Auto Parts looks to be open cell, the picture that Jeff posted looks like closed cell. Both types, when new, would be flexible. Just some addition thoughts.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.