Author Topic: Question about proper arc on rear leaf springs  (Read 1654 times)

Offline somethingspecial

• 1968 GT/CS Registrar mikej@bigbytes.com
Question about proper arc on rear leaf springs
« on: December 24, 2015, 12:55:35 PM »
I know there are a lot of variables, such as temper etc., but is there a way to quickly check the proper arc on rear leaf springs, such as spring eyes on the ground and arc up to measure the arc height.  I have a set of 68' rear springs, out of a 390gt, GT package, but have no idea if the springs have taken a set/compressed.  Again, is there a way to check these to see if they are good or not?  Thanks.  Mike
Your friendly neighborhood 1968 GT/CS Registrar

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Question about proper arc on rear leaf springs
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 07:52:34 PM »
I know there are a lot of variables, such as temper etc., but is there a way to quickly check the proper arc on rear leaf springs, such as spring eyes on the ground and arc up to measure the arc height.  I have a set of 68' rear springs, out of a 390gt, GT package, but have no idea if the springs have taken a set/compressed.  Again, is there a way to check these to see if they are good or not?  Thanks.  Mike
I know this is not what you want to hear but the only exact way I know is to put them on the car and measure the ride height once installed . Leaf springs off the car unloaded on the ground may appear and measure one way when they really are another way once installed with weight on them. Don't ask me how I know ::) . The same can be said for front coil springs.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline somethingspecial

• 1968 GT/CS Registrar mikej@bigbytes.com
Re: Question about proper arc on rear leaf springs
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 10:31:37 AM »
Thanks Bob, that is what I was expecting. Just thought I would check to see if there was some other way to check them.  Thanks again.  Mike
Your friendly neighborhood 1968 GT/CS Registrar