Author Topic: 65-66 Heater Hose Routing  (Read 7161 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
65-66 Heater Hose Routing
« on: January 04, 2016, 08:23:00 PM »
Thought this might help an member or two now or in the future

Interesting how at least one of the workers wrapped the hose around the other to keep them together. Have the same pattern in a number of other period pictures showing what appears the period when Shelby was no longer adding the intake manifold. Being done at San Jose

« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 11:04:55 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Online specialed

Re: 65-66 Heater Hose Routing
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 10:51:57 AM »
was wondering if routing water flow had something to do with the way heater hoses are routed like the later autolite hoses had eng #s on them with the length in  inches wrote out on them .  Also the carb filter has different clamp than on fuel line end & I got some carb filters here that came from ford plant that had the gas hose clamp pre-crimped on the filter nipple end & wonder if that was done to save time on assembly. Just a thought!!

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 04:48:42 PM »
Thought this might help an member or two now or in the future

Interesting how at least one of the workers wrapped the hose around the other to keep them together. Have the same pattern in a number of other period pictures showing what appears the period when Shelby was no longer adding the intake manifold. Being done at San Jose

Jeff,
 What's the time frame of the twisted hoses?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 10:53:13 PM »
NOTE: changed the color of one arrow. Colored it incorrectly the first time :(

What's the time frame of the twisted hoses?

Of course few if any 65-66 Shelbys today have their original heater hoses in place and untouched

Looking at my pictures and focusing (as usual) on original examples and period pictures I found the same twist on cars from the carry over period (so from lvery late 65 production)  though 1966 GT350's in the 2100's. Wish I had more examples to compare. In at least one case the original hoses may have been removed and reconnected to the intake and water pump yet the lower hose still appears to have retained the twist in the hose as it lays in the valley between the intake and valve cover

As a reminder for everyone originally (in 65) Shelby was swapping things like intakes at their plant. In an agreement with Ford San Jose started to install the intakes leading to a couple of short run differences (painted intakes on a few engines) before they got things dialed in. This transition between who was swapping the intakes took place during the period late 65 San Jose production when they assembled what would become the early (carry over) 66 GT350's. This period may be related to that picture of all the V8 engines at the Cleveland plant waiting for shipment we have in the Plant section of the site.

Would be interesting if we had enough period pictures of non-Shelby engines from the period to see if this was a common practice across the Mustang

A picture of the latest built 66 GT350 I've got - reported to have been taken in 1966. Appears to be the same twist in the hoses

« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 11:05:48 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 10:06:20 AM »
I was going to ask about the routing of the hoses as my dad has his currently zip tied to the export brace to keep it off the intake and valve cover on his hertz.  Another question is and I included a link to a previous discussion, what color are the stripes?  Both white or white and yellow?

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=2690.msg14244#msg14244
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 10:48:42 AM »
I was going to ask about the routing of the hoses as my dad has his currently zip tied to the export brace to keep it off the intake and valve cover on his hertz.  Another question is and I included a link to a previous discussion, what color are the stripes?  Both white or white and yellow?

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=2690.msg14244#msg14244
65/66 Shelby are white stripe.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby