Author Topic: 1967 shelby inboard wiring harness securing clips. Pictures?  (Read 10505 times)

1967 eight barrel

1967 shelby inboard wiring harness securing clips. Pictures?
« on: January 19, 2016, 08:08:37 AM »
I am looking for the other alternatives to the plastic clips that are being sold on Ebay. I have a Dec '66 manufacture Did Shelby also use tie wraps to secure the lamp harnesses to the hood latch support? Pictures would be helpful as well.  Thank you.

Offline tobkob

Re: 1967 shelby inboard wiring harness securing clips. Pictures?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 11:19:57 AM »
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970. Only owner since Hertz.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 02:32:09 PM »
I am looking for the other alternatives to the plastic clips that are being sold on Ebay.............

Don't know which plastic clips are being sold on EBay. No link or picture from there. If they are like the ones pictured in the SAAC discussion I don't know of anyone that has every produced them. So no alternatives unless you want to do something non-factory. If so then its up to you seen a number of owners screw C clamps all over the engine compartment to retain wires but not something I would ever consider doing. Especially considering the site we're at ;)

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 02:55:33 PM »
I am looking for the other alternatives to the plastic clips that are being sold on Ebay. I have a Dec '66 manufacture Did Shelby also use tie wraps to secure the lamp harnesses to the hood latch support? Pictures would be helpful as well.  Thank you.
the Panduit zip ties were only used on the very earliest of cars probably only the first couple hundred. I am not sure which ones on eBay you are looking at to confirm if original or not. A SAAC forum contributor reproduced a few dozen and sold on the forum as well as some on eBay. Not sure if you are looking at those or not. If the are the right ones you would be short sighted if you passed on them. If they are over a 100.00 I could understand although I would pay that in a second if that was one of a few things needed for a valuable car I was working on. But that is just me. Others may think differently.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 01:17:56 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 07:35:03 PM »
Some pictures - unfortunately any retainers have been removed or failed and fallen off

On the last Dec built car went with the long C shaped retainers that were sold over on SAAC site

The wires do appear to still have a bend formed in them towards the center hood latch support

Jeff Speegle

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 07:49:06 PM »
Jeff,
The factory charging/lighting, starter harness that usually sits in clips along the front cross member.. Should that harness be on top of the fiberglass in the bottom opening or under the opening? I have seen them on top in most vehicles. The pictures you posted seem to show that this particular vehicle has the wiring under the lower fiberglass opening. Does the individual on the SAAC site have the C type plastic clips available? What does a pair run? A link would be helpful.

Regards,
                                                                                   -Keith

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 12:32:48 AM »
Jeff,
The factory charging/lighting, starter harness that usually sits in clips along the front cross member.. Should that harness be on top of the fiberglass in the bottom opening or under the opening? I have seen them on top in most vehicles. The pictures you posted seem to show that this particular vehicle has the wiring under the lower fiberglass opening. Does the individual on the SAAC site have the C type plastic clips available? What does a pair run? A link would be helpful.

Don't know if they have any more - just made on run.

Here is the post from that site

Related thread - http://saacforum.com/index.php?topic=19317.15

Could not find the ad - looked. Maybe the seller pulled it once they were all gone
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 12:46:44 AM »
Jeff,

Regards,
                                                                                   -Keith
The headlamp harness typically sits on the top side of the fiberglass.Jeff's picture may not be a good representation. It appears that the nose had been off or replaced since there are no rivets holding the nose on to the front frame rail or empty holes where they would be.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 12:54:45 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 06:53:38 PM »
Here is the Evilbay link for the clips. 40.00 seems a bit extensive in my opinion.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301703531842?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 07:35:11 PM »
Reply #1 had the original link   ::)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2016, 01:40:06 AM »
Here is the Evilbay link for the clips. 40.00 seems a bit extensive in my opinion.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301703531842?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true
I have been advising people for decades now. You have got to understand that you are looking for parts that are rare and hard to find.This is not the first time this subject has come up. This is however the very FIRST time that a replica of the original wire clamp has been available for sale in all of the years I have been doing this to put it into perspective. A SAAC forum member couldn't find any and had some originals 3D copied and made up a few sets to offset the expense of doing a run. No one in the past has wanted to put up the initial investment that making this part would take. After you spend many hours looking for a comparable substitute and find nothing like others have in the past you may just change your mind. I think the 40.00 is a good investment to make a 150,000.00 67 GT500 more original which makes it more valuable in today's world. But that is just my opinion .Others may have different.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2016, 02:47:45 AM »

Guess you've never looked into or have reproduced a part. 

I bought two pair and don't own a 67
Jeff Speegle

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 07:32:23 PM »
Well, I know some reasonable parts printers. I have used them for a couple LE firearms accessory prototypes. However, with that said: Most will scan the image of an original in with these dimensions for about 20.00. Then they can be reproduced in number. What I did note that is they can only be reproduced without being brittle in a nylon-like material. The originals seem to be a charcoal gray. I don't have an example to have done, so no. That rules that option out.
However, as most of the sellers anymore are interested in killing home hobbyist because the owners of these vehicles for the most part are extremely wealthy, I don't think there are many like myself who bought a vehicle in high school and have managed to hold on to it all these years.
I am not sure if my vehicle would have even used these, as I saw one under #200 that had used the clips that hold the wiring harness to the fender wells on each side of the hood latch/headlamp support.

I have given some of the parts I have more than once to people here there were in need,  so I guess my logic is flawed in the eyes of those who are capitalizing on the fact many of us who have the cars need particular items, and because of the popularity and value of the vehicle they want to make a killing on one item because of need.
                                                                                      -Keith
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 12:23:15 AM by 1967 eight barrel »

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2016, 11:43:09 PM »
Keith,

3D printing is a great technology. I use it to make prototypes for tooling to make medical devices, and sometimes for actual, functional tooling. But there are limitations. The most common material we use is ABS plastic, which is reasonably strong but does not have the flexibility of nylon or PVC (which I suspect was the original material for the clip in question). Perhaps the biggest drawback is appearance. FDM (fused deposition modeling) printing builds the part up in layers These layers are .010" or so, and while that's small, it's not invisible. The material is also porous due to gaps betwen the layers and the way each layer is built. Lastly, the part can fracture or cleave between layers, so the part is generally built to minimize this effect, which sometimes compromises appearance.

The original parts were extruded. Extruding dies are simpler to make than injection molding dies, but you're still talking thousands of dollars. Let's say you get a bargain at $3,000. There's setup time and development, and machine time to pay for. So you're probably looking at $5,000 minimum investment. And my numbers are probably on the optimistic side. Once you start running the piece price is pretty low. Let's say you make 1,000 clips. At $5 apiece, you break even if you sell them all. What do you expect the demand to be? If the market will only support 200 clips, you need to sell them at $25 apiece just to break even. None of this factors in the time for marketing, sales, shipping, etc.

The choice is, a functional part that sorta looks like the original but is inexpensive, or a quality reproduction that is rather spendy.

If you're looking for a "close enough", a company called Heyco makes a C clip that is similar in appearance. It's part number 3794. But I haven't found any for sale, you might have to get quotes. (Companies offering quotes are usually expecting to sell quantities, not individual pieces) Heyco and others also make "J" clips, which may be close enough to be functional.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2016, 12:35:21 AM »
I appreciate the information. I recently finally found an answer for those who are missing the plugs in the back side of the headlamp buckets. Seems like it's a never ending search for things that didn't come off the shelf at Ford.

-Keith