Author Topic: 1967 Shelby hoodpin brackets.  (Read 2215 times)

1967 eight barrel

1967 Shelby hoodpin brackets.
« on: February 12, 2016, 10:50:57 PM »
The hood and nose is new on my vehicle and I am getting ready to knock the holes in the hood. I put the brackets on get them adjusted so they are extended to the same location, measured from the cowl edge.
I look at the bent bracket on the passenger side and note they do not look like the are the same distance from the fender's edge. I measure  left and right. The angled bracket is a half inch further from the fender's edge on the right than it is on the left. Coincidently, if I switch the straight bracket to the right, they maintain the same distance.
I read the story on how and why, but would I be better off getting another straight pin support, or leaving the uneven side in place because it's factory?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 1967 Shelby hoodpin brackets.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 02:06:15 AM »
The hood and nose is new on my vehicle and I am getting ready to knock the holes in the hood. I put the brackets on get them adjusted so they are extended to the same location, measured from the cowl edge.
I look at the bent bracket on the passenger side and note they do not look like the are the same distance from the fender's edge. I measure  left and right. The angled bracket is a half inch further from the fender's edge on the right than it is on the left. Coincidently, if I switch the straight bracket to the right, they maintain the same distance.
I read the story on how and why, but would I be better off getting another straight pin support, or leaving the uneven side in place because it's factory?
It should line up with the holes in your hood.  If it were my car I would leave the bent bracket on the passenger side like the factory. FYI be sure your pin plates are clocked with the rivet holes at 12, 3, 6 and 9.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 04:51:55 AM »
Bob,
The nose and hood were replaced. That is the issue. I just found it strange that the pin location is off by a half inch because of the angled bracket.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 12:01:43 PM »
Bob,
The nose and hood were replaced. That is the issue. I just found it strange that the pin location is off by a half inch because of the angled bracket.
Was the radiator support changed or some else that might explain the differance?
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 12:50:24 PM »
Was the radiator support changed or some else that might explain the differance?
What ever the problem you have underneath which is causing the pin bracket difference and it is probably too late to fix it properly at this point.I would change things to make the hood pin location look normal on the top side . The hood pin location look on the outside /topside is the most important thing.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 07:15:08 PM »
Bob, I understood that the right bracket was made on a twisted body buck, and I thought perhaps the brackets had always been a little bit off.
It sits a little more to the center than the left side. However, the left bracket is the straight one.

-Keith

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 07:56:40 PM »
Bob, I understood that the right bracket was made on a twisted body buck, and I thought perhaps the brackets had always been a little bit off.
It sits a little more to the center than the left side. However, the left bracket is the straight one.

-Keith
That fact is taken out of context. It does not have to do with that bracket. If it was then every car would be dealing with your problem. They don't . It is difficult for me to diagnosis the problem by remote but since you are replacing the nose and hood it is likely the situation is the result of the reason for those changes had to be made. The most important thing is to do what you have to and make the outside look right. If you can do that with just a little bend in a fabricated passenger side bracket (to satisfy the under hood look) all the better.

has more to donis not why it was done that way