Author Topic: Air filter restortation for FA-50  (Read 2808 times)

Offline blueoval67

Air filter restortation for FA-50
« on: June 06, 2016, 10:04:53 PM »
I have a Motorcraft FA-50 with the round holes that is very dirty and a bit greasy. Does anyone have any tips to clean or restore this air filter to a more usable and visually appearing state? Thanks guys
Dave Walters
www.427GalaxieRegistry.com
DW Restorations

Offline sgl66

Re: Air filter restortation for FA-50
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 10:15:25 AM »
Pool supply stores sell a cleaner to remove fine dirt, oil and grease from paper cartridges that works well. If you can wait a day or 2, I'm about to replace a similar repo air filter and will test that to see how the pool stuff reacts with air cleaner paper and metal.
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 03:28:05 PM »
Pool supply stores sell a cleaner to remove fine dirt, oil and grease from paper cartridges that works well. If you can wait a day or 2, I'm about to replace a similar repo air filter and will test that to see how the pool stuff reacts with air cleaner paper and metal.

Thanks - take allot of pictures (so you can choose the best angles and such) to show what you did. Even if it doesn't work out it will be helpful
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline blueoval67

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 07:17:55 PM »
Yes I'm familiar with that product. I have paper filters for my pool and have used it in the past. I'm very curious to hear your outcome as it sounds like it could work well as long as the paper element is in good shape. Thanks!
Dave Walters
DW Restorations

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 07:37:21 PM »
I think the challenge (I too have the cartridges pool filters) is the difference in the materials used in both.  My pool ones are not a paper material

Would be great to have an ultrasonic cleaner to use and compare to also

I also have a filter I need to improve - its issue is some surface rust on the screen. Been considering building a rotating bath where the level of Evaporust could be kept off of the paper material whole the filter rotates through the bath for hours.  But that experiment is long down the "get to" list :(
Jeff Speegle

Offline sgl66

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 11:31:04 PM »
This science project seemed to work out well. I used the Anthony Sylvan brand cartridge cleaner and mixed 4 oz. to 1 gallon of water. There are also spray bottles of  solution which is washed off after a few minutes but I don't have any so didn't try it.

First I submerged a little less than 1/4 of the filter in solution vertically for 5 hours. When I pulled it out to look at it, dirty solution just drained from the filter...doesn't get much easier than that. I rinsed it with a garden hose spraying from the inside out to flush out any remaining solution. Then I flipped it 180 degrees and let the other side soak for 12 hours to see if a longer soak would make any difference. I don't see any difference. The filter element, metal and orange casing all look the same in fact the orange casing and metal look exactly the same as the areas that did not soak. I waited about 36 hours to let the filter dry before taking pictures. My filter wasn't excessively dirty but you can see the dirt in the solution which was clear when I started. I don't know how similar the FA 50 filter material is to the repo's but these results look promising. If you want to try it, start by soaking the smallest section possible for 1-2 hours and then have a look at it. If it's cleaning as expected, do the whole filter. If not, you can always turn that small section of filter to the rear where nobody would see it if your using it for show.

For comparison, I put a piece of standard notebook paper (thinner material) in and let it sit for 24 hours to see if it would deteriorate. The blue and red ink lines dissolved but the paper remained in tact.

I already have a new filter but if I had to, I wouldn't hesitate to use this one again. The next time I get Evaporust, I'll toss the filter in to see if it affects the paper at all.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 11:41:47 PM »
Thanks for the report back. A successful "test" always provides the foundation for others to follow and get it a try.  Wish my pool filters were that easy but that's another subject   ::)
Jeff Speegle

Offline blueoval67

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 11:11:23 AM »
That's great info. I'm going to give it a try this week and I'll post pictures of the whole process good or bad...lol. Thanks for the tip!

X2 on the pool filters...they can be a real PITA!
Dave Walters
DW Restorations

Offline sgl66

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 11:31:59 PM »
I also have a filter I need to improve - its issue is some surface rust on the screen. Been considering building a rotating bath where the level of Evaporust could be kept off of the paper material whole the filter rotates through the bath for hours.  But that experiment is long down the "get to" list :(
Jeff,

I'm cleaning some parts, this time trying "Metal Rescue" which is clear not amber like Evaporust. I remembered your ambitious rotating bath idea so I soaked the previously cleaned area of my old filter in the Metal Rescue and removed it after 5 hours. There was a slight hint of amber color otherwise the liquid remained clear. I rinsed it with water same as before, let it dry in the sun and there is no noticeable difference in the paper or other areas of the filter.

Hope that saves you trying to build a rotating bath for a piece that is guaranteed to not be perfectly round. Evaporust would likely drip off the screen and onto the paper anyway ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 05:38:40 PM »
Quote from: sglbbs link=topic=13865.msg87932#m sg87932 date=1469845919
Hope that saves you trying to build a rotating bath for a piece that is guaranteed to not be perfectly round. Evaporust would likely drip off the screen and onto the paper anyway ;)

Thanks for the report on your findings. Should help me an many others in our efforts
Jeff Speegle