Author Topic: Dipping parts to paint  (Read 1970 times)

Offline Mike.Griese

Dipping parts to paint
« on: July 14, 2016, 11:04:42 PM »
Apologies if this has been discussed before, but it appears that a number of parts on my '71 convertible were originally dipped in paint instead of sprayed.  Some of these parts, like the straps for the gas tank, are quite long, making it impractical to dip them due to the amount of wasted paint left over.  A technique I heard about was to seal off one end of a PVC or some other water tight pipe, fill the pipe mostly with water, and then float black oil based paint on the top.  The part is then dipped through the paint and pulled back out.  The theory is that the paint coats the part on the way in, and the paint adheres to the part as it is dipped through the water.  Has anybody tried this?
--
Mike

'71 Convertible

Offline rockhouse66

Re: Dipping parts to paint
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 07:49:51 AM »
Yes, this works.  I think the paint first or it doesn't run off properly.  I also put a coat of black paint on the part first just in case there is a bubble or something and a small area is missed in the dipping - so I don't have to do it over!
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline Mike.Griese

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 05:13:34 PM »
So a light spray, then dip?
--
Mike

'71 Convertible

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 07:18:53 PM »
Although not for a gas tank strap, I made a dipping rig from 3 inch PVC using four 45 degree bends and five straight sections to make a gentle "U" bend tank. The three inside section were about 3 inches long, the two up section about 5 inches long. I clamped the rig down, filled it with semi-gloss black paint and slid the straps thru. There was a hook at the wet end to pull the strap thru when I could not shove any more of the dry end in. It was messy but it worked (used a lot of newspapers). It took about a quart but I recovered most of the unused paint when I was done. Do a "dry" run to make sure the strap don't get hung up in the "U".
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 08:47:41 PM »
Found that reducing the paint is a need and if too thick bubbles will get trapped and produce a poor final look.

End up just spraying till it runs for more dipped parts is easier and quicker for me since I'm normally only doing a few parts at a time.  Has worked for me successfully for a number of cars that used this technique (originally dipping parts to paint them)

Also document what direction the drips are running (from where it was hung) before you strip the part ;)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 05:39:18 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 08:35:39 AM »
So a light spray, then dip?

Yes, or just spray the areas where you think there could end up being an air pocket or bubble.  The dipping leaves a surface finish that I can't achieve any other way - very smooth.
Jim
'66 GT FB