Author Topic: 1967 Reproduction San Jose Firewall Pad - Least of the Evils?  (Read 1301 times)

Offline cmfuser01

Understanding a faithful reproduction of the 1967 SJ firewall pad is not available, and assuming that hasn't changed in the last year, what would be considered the least of all evils of the pads that are available in reproduction in appearance, quality and fitment?

Thanks

'67 SJ Fastback built 10/66
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 05:19:46 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 1967 Reproduction Firewall Pad - Least of the Evils?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 02:25:57 PM »
Understanding a faithful reproduction of the 1967 SJ firewall pad is not available, and assuming that hasn't changed in the last year, what would be considered the least of all evils of the pads that are available in reproduction in appearance, quality and fitment?

Thanks

The repro variety regardless of type is certainly the least expensive alternative relative speaking compared to a nice used hard to find original.  A lot of work has to be done on any of the repro offerings to make them less distasteful in appearance so there is cost there if nothing else in your time. The reality is that the most that you can hope for is a Dearborn type textured mat since I am unaware of a technique to duplicate in a respectable way the special dot pattern on a SJ firewall mat. I have found that the least expensive variety serves just as good of a base to build up from then the more expensive so claimed "concours" firewall mat. They all need to be test fitted before restoration work is started .  I have not checked but think there is a tutorial somewhere here on how to do the texture . I would only add that the edges need to be taped off during finishing and untapped after completion. FYI I do have a more expensive original SJ unique pattern firewall mat for sale if you are someone else reading needs something that looks exact. I understand that sometimes that kind of exact looking mat and it's extra cost can not be justified .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline cmfuser01

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 02:52:01 PM »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 05:18:43 PM »
Understanding a faithful reproduction of the 1967 SJ firewall pad is not available, and assuming that hasn't changed in the last year, '67 SJ Fastback built 10/66

As far as I know there has been no improvement in this area

what would be considered the least of all evils of the pads that are available in reproduction in appearance, quality and fitment?

Your going to get deducted for what ever you choose. Likely better to have a new one than one from another factory.  One that has correct looking backing than one that is easy to see that is off. Correct retainers over the wrong ones.

Best to look at it just as a list of small gains where you can for the best but not prefect outcome.   Will leave it to others to comment on how "good" any of the current reproductions fit - sorry haven't used one for a San Jose restoration
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)