Author Topic: 8-Track restoration  (Read 2245 times)

Offline A12pilot

• My cars and blog
8-Track restoration
« on: January 28, 2018, 07:13:56 PM »
 Anyone know a good source to do this work? My 68 AM 8-Track needs a redo.  Thanks!

Dave
Dave
-1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee -MCACN Gold 2017
-1968 Mustang S-Code GT Fastback
 (8F02S)..390-4spd, deluxe interior, both consoles,  convenience group,  reflective group, 8000 rpm tach,  AM 8-Track, fold down seat,  tinted glass,  all paperwork/ numbers matching, built late December

Offline Mike_B_SVT

Re: 8-Track restoration
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 07:57:03 PM »
This is what I have saved in my files for when I get that far along...

AM/8-Track Restoration

http://www.retroradio.biz/
mfrenchek@retroradio.biz
Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 09:24:07 PM »
Does anyone know if there was more than one style of 8 track player in 1968? The old Mustang Recognition Guide says early players had no preset buttons?

Offline nham3407

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 11:00:03 AM »
I planned to send mine off to this person, but found a very good deal on a restored working unit out of Canada where the exchange rate favored me purchasing it.

http://www.barrys8trackrepair.com/
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 12/67 (Red)
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 6/68 (White)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 03:23:15 PM »
I had Joe do my AM 8-track http://www.joesclassiccarradio.com/

Many options available today on these radios. From basic service repairs for your Concours needs, to upgrades for your Daily Driver including Bluetooth capable and beyond, the sky (or your purse) is the limit, all tucked inside an original case.

Conversion Video Links here: http://www.joesclassiccarradio.com/video.html
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 03:48:12 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline A12pilot

• My cars and blog
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 08:10:48 AM »
"Does anyone know if there was more than one style of 8 track player in 1968? The old Mustang Recognition Guide says early players had no preset buttons?"

I sent mine out to Joe Vigil in Monrovia,  CA after a nice conversation with him.  Interesting that you post that about the early 8-Tracks....

Here's my original operating manual for the player and on the cover, it shows both.  Wonder if one was for Fairlanes or other models since the bezel is shaped a tad differently?

Cheers
Dave
Dave
-1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee -MCACN Gold 2017
-1968 Mustang S-Code GT Fastback
 (8F02S)..390-4spd, deluxe interior, both consoles,  convenience group,  reflective group, 8000 rpm tach,  AM 8-Track, fold down seat,  tinted glass,  all paperwork/ numbers matching, built late December

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 08:47:58 AM »
Here's my original operating manual for the player and on the cover, it shows both.  Wonder if one was for Fairlanes or other models since the bezel is shaped a tad differently?

Cheers
Dave

The lower one in your image is the under dash mounted dealer installed variety optional player.
Only Mustangs, T-Birds, Cougars & Lincolns received the factory installed versions (in 1966 & 1967 anyways, do not think anything changed in '68).
68 had changed to an available AM/FM Stereo option and added the push-buttons for the Mustang 8-track player but I am unaware of any 68's with FACTORY INSTALLED 8-track players WITHOUT the buttons.
I imagine some very early ones could have been sold without the push-buttons, perhaps using leftover inventory from 67 cars (wasn't that popular of an option yet). I am curious to hear if any unrestored 68's with a matching Marti report has ever surfaced WITHOUT the push-buttons.

Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline rrenz

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 09:34:53 PM »
This is what I have saved in my files for when I get that far along...

AM/8-Track Restoration

http://www.retroradio.biz/
mfrenchek@retroradio.biz

I used him a few years ago. He did a FM conversion on an original radio for my 66. He was very back logged. I waited almost 6 months for my radio to be returned. The appearance of the radio is beautiful considering I dug it out of a milk crate of rusty crap at a swap meet. However the knobs don't really work too well and the on/off doesn't work at all which is troublesome because to switch from am/fm you need to turn the radio on then off. I tried contacting them and never got a response. I didn't want to wait any longer so I put a small momentary switch under the dash and I've just dealt with it.
Ryan
1966 C Code NJ Springtime Yellow
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2001 3.8 Mustang Convertible
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 03:21:11 PM »
I used him a few years ago. He did a FM conversion on an original radio for my 66. He was very back logged. I waited almost 6 months for my radio to be returned. The appearance of the radio is beautiful considering I dug it out of a milk crate of rusty crap at a swap meet. However the knobs don't really work too well and the on/off doesn't work at all which is troublesome because to switch from am/fm you need to turn the radio on then off. I tried contacting them and never got a response. I didn't want to wait any longer so I put a small momentary switch under the dash and I've just dealt with it.

Good to know!  I'll bump him down the list!  Thankfully it looks like there are more options available that others have posted.
Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!