Author Topic: Several queations 1972 Mach !  (Read 2483 times)

Offline c9zx

Several queations 1972 Mach !
« on: June 28, 2010, 10:12:35 PM »
I'm in the final stages of restoring a 1972 Mach 1 (build date 03/16/72) and several questions are emerging. Any and all help with the following questions will be greatly appreciated.
What is the correct antenna, telescoping or fixed? What is a good source for correct antenna?
Did non-fold down rear seat cars get full sized spare or space saver (car has comp suspension and came with Magnum 500s per build sheet)?
What are correct paint markings for springs and sway bars?
What are markings for differential, drive shaft, and transmission (C-6)?

Thanks, Chuck
Thanks, Chuck

1969 G code Cougar Eliminator
1972 Q code Mach 1, auto, air, 2F05Q183426, 03/16/72
CSX 7031

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Several queations 1972 Mach !
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 01:04:37 AM »
I'm in the final stages of restoring a 1972 Mach 1 (build date 03/16/72) and several questions are emerging. Any and all help with the following questions will be greatly appreciated.
What is the correct antenna, telescoping or fixed? What is a good source for correct antenna?

Not a strong 71-71 person but looking at my collection of original car pictures I offer the following

Can't tell from the dozen or so 72's I have pictures clearly which one was used that year (antenna)

Did non-fold down rear seat cars get full sized spare or space saver (car has comp suspension and came with Magnum 500s per build sheet)?

Does the car have the space saver mount and inflator bottle mounting bracket?   This would be what I would look for to guide me

The non- folddown 71-73's I have pictures of have full size spare tires

What are correct paint markings for springs and sway bars?
What are markings for differential, drive shaft, and transmission (C-6)?

If yo0u have a build sheet many of the standard paint marks your looking for are listed there.

All the marks for the trans and rearend is a 6 hour project and the sources are very limited
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline c9zx

Re: Several queations 1972 Mach !
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 05:21:41 PM »
Jeff,

Thanks for the help. The build sheet is mostly illegible and in pieces. As near as I can tell, base on Ford assembly book, the antenna is telescoping. However I recently looked at two unrestored late 72s and they both had non-telescoping tapered whip antennas. A coin flip resulted in my purchasing a telescoping antenna. The one unrestored fastback, non-fold down rear seat car, I've seen had a full sized Ford marked spare and the bracket for the space saver spare (my car also has both). For now I'm only replicating the paint daubs I found on the car. Perhaps I'll find a 1971-1973 guru someday.

Thanks Again,
Chuck
Thanks, Chuck

1969 G code Cougar Eliminator
1972 Q code Mach 1, auto, air, 2F05Q183426, 03/16/72
CSX 7031