Author Topic: vacuum advance restoration  (Read 1112 times)

Offline Wills70

vacuum advance restoration
« on: September 08, 2016, 08:43:48 PM »
I would like to get my advance unit re plated silver zinc , 69 single advance , will this harm the rubber diaphragm inside?  anybody know of someone who has done this or offers this service?     Thanks Will
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 08:52:47 PM by carlite65 »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: vacuum advance restoration
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 09:47:01 PM »
I would like to get my advance unit re plated silver zinc , 69 single advance , will this harm the rubber diaphragm inside?  anybody know of someone who has done this or offers this service?     Thanks Will
Will, the plating process will not hurt the rubber but the interior needs extra care that all solution is neutralized inside so that corrosion of the unseen interior metal surfaces doesn't happen. Typically it happens at the edges and where the rubber and metal meet. I am not sure the best thing to neutralize it with is. I have used water or lacquer thinner more to flush out then to neutralize. I then blow dry and T9. It seems to work.I am sure there is a better way.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Wills70

Re: vacuum advance restoration
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 10:39:10 PM »
Thanks for the reply Bob , your advice carries great value , the platter seemed to be unsure and I would really like to  restore this OEM piece to its former glory! This unit is actually from a 69 GT 350 Shelby  351 W 4V distributor I purchased. 
Thanks Will
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 10:43:58 PM by Wills70 »