Author Topic: C4ZE-Y2 W-MO 10-64 Radiator  (Read 953 times)

Offline mnwildfan24

C4ZE-Y2 W-MO 10-64 Radiator
« on: July 06, 2020, 10:06:35 PM »
Hey everyone,

I found a Y2 radiator today that has automatic transmission fittings on the bottom. Just wondering what car this would have come on stock. Based on other posts I've read, this radiator code should not have had automatic transmission setup. Dated as an October of 1964 radiator.

Thanks in advance,
Jake

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: C4ZE-Y2 W-MO 10-64 Radiator
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 10:33:10 PM »
Hey everyone,

I found a Y2 radiator today that has automatic transmission fittings on the bottom. Just wondering what car this would have come on stock. Based on other posts I've read, this radiator code should not have had automatic transmission setup. Dated as an October of 1964 radiator.

Thanks in advance,
Jake
First welcome. I hope this helps. 65 Manual trans no A/C is what the Y2 application is . Ether a factory mistake or someone has changed out the bottom tank.What is more likely ? What with the cooler lines protruding from the bottom tank means something was up at one time or another.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline mnwildfan24

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 11:02:16 PM »
First welcome. I hope this helps. 65 Manual trans no A/C is what the Y2 application is . Ether a factory mistake or someone has changed out the bottom tank.What is more likely ? What with the cooler lines protruding from the bottom tank means something was up at one time or another.
Ok thanks for the quick reply Bob. From what I've seen on here, that Y2 code is good for a V8 Mustang that was built in the following few months, right? Just trying to figure out what to do with it since I have no car for it at the moment.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 12:34:25 AM »
Ok thanks for the quick reply Bob. From what I've seen on here, that Y2 code is good for a V8 Mustang that was built in the following few months, right? Just trying to figure out what to do with it since I have no car for it at the moment.
Yes V8 Mustang . FYI a six cylinder has smaller upper and lower hose ports compared to a V8. Dramatic difference.Unless going on a concours restored car being judged I would plug the trans cooler ports with some allen plugs and not worry about it . Even in concours judging that small detail may get overlooked.it is the second place I look after the top tank details but then again some have called me picky. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline mnwildfan24

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 12:37:32 AM »
Yes V8 Mustang . FYI a six cylinder has smaller upper and lower hose ports compared to a V8. Dramatic difference.Unless going on a concours restored car being judged I would plug the trans cooler ports with some allen plugs and not worry about it . Even in concours judging that small detail may get overlooked.it is the second place I look after the top tank details but then again some have called me picky.
Ok sounds good.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 04:45:31 PM »
Also would add that since its a W MO (Western Modine) it was likely originally in a San Jose built car. Likely built in November -December 64 looking at other examples

If your going to use it I would have the bottom tank fixed. Just an opinion but if used the way it is its not correct or like original - the focus here ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mnwildfan24

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 05:23:01 PM »
Also would add that since its a W MO (Western Modine) it was likely originally in a San Jose built car. Likely built in November -December 64 looking at other examples

If your going to use it I would have the bottom tank fixed. Just an opinion but if used the way it is its not correct or like original - the focus here ;)
  Thanks for the input. After doing some research, I saw on another forum that the Y2's were put in early 1965 K coded Mustangs. Is that correct?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2020, 05:37:41 PM »
Seen them installed in a number of "restored" K code and Shelby's.
Most likely a stand in for the more difficult to find and more expensive correct radiators.
And of course with a different lower tank

For full disclosure I do have one reported (no pictures) of one owner who reported that their Dec K code had a "Y2" installed. Can't confirm if it was original to the car or if it was a mistake at the plant. There are reports of "G2" available and installed prior and after that date period so no lack of supply nor change from one to another. Do have 10 64 G2 examples

Jeff Speegle

Offline mnwildfan24

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2020, 05:41:46 PM »
Seen them installed in a number of "restored" K code and Shelby's.
Most likely a stand in for the more difficult to find and more expensive correct radiators.
And of course with a different lower tank

For full disclosure I do have one reported (no pictures) of one owner who reported that their Dec K code had a "Y2" installed. Can't confirm if it was original to the car or if it was a mistake at the plant. There are reports of "G2" available and installed prior and after that date period so no lack of supply nor change from one to another. Do have 10 64 G2 examples
Ok. Everything I seem to find does say that it is a grey area when they switched to the G2 from the Y2.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2020, 05:59:33 PM »
Ok. Everything I seem to find does say that it is a grey area when they switched to the G2 from the Y2.

Not sure of what those resources are or what they are basing. Many printed references do not differentiate between A and C code 4 speed applications and K code

I do realize that in earlier years we have posted the possibility here on this site. Have edited some of those (added to not correct)  since these were single examples not supported by a trend or multiple findings. I would not use a Y2 at this point without more supporting data. Just me
Jeff Speegle

Offline mnwildfan24

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2020, 06:09:24 PM »
Not sure of what those resources are or what they are basing. Many printed references do not differentiate between A and C code 4 speed applications and K code

I do realize that in earlier years we have posted the possibility here on this site. Have edited some of those (added to not correct)  since these were single examples not supported by a trend or multiple findings. I would not use a Y2 at this point without more supporting data. Just me
Ok thanks.