Author Topic: Drivers door repair  (Read 2029 times)

Offline 9F94M567042

Drivers door repair
« on: October 08, 2016, 05:12:34 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Before I start, if this needs to be moved to another area, feel free to do so. I would like some advice on repairing my drivers door.
I've attached a couple of pictures, I can take different ones if that would help also.
This is part of an accident that happened many years ago. I know nothing about body work, but am wondering if this is something I
might be able to take care of since I for one I don't trust anybody, and two finding someone qualified to do the repair.
I would consider investing in some body tools if needed. Any advice is surely appreciated.

Thanks,
P.S. This is a cougar door, but I'm sure the mustang is the same

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
Re: Drivers door repair
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 01:29:26 PM »
Lots of information on YouTube for fixing dents, that have helped me.  I would make sure the door is worth the investment, first though.  Good luck and have fun.
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 04:53:36 PM »
Look very closely at the "folded over" area along the bottom of the door.  If you see signs of bulging, an indicator of rust, you might want to start with a better door.

Where are you located?  I know of a choice door that is ripe for the picking.  I was thinking of getting it solely for the vent window - perfect outside, two small pits on the inside.  The best used one I've ever seen.  Not sure if the same for a Mustang though.  I attached a few pics where I was focusing only on the paint stripe since it looked to be original.

If you need the door shoot me a PM and I'll let you know where it is.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline cobrajetchris

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 02:56:34 PM »
The door is very repairable and if it's the original door to the car I would repair it. The best way to repair this door is start with it on the car. Repairing this kind a damage is hard to do on a bench. Based on the damage to the front edge I would guess the fender pushed into the door causing the damage. The original fender is most likely not reusable. I would start by hanging the door back on the car with the fender off and make sure the gaps are correct to the qtr. panel and the rocker. This is where it gets tricky if you have no experience or tools. The door panel needs to be pulled forward and there are a couple ways of doing this. I have a clamp attached to a 5 lb. slide hammer that I would use however sometimes just a large hammer and dolly to get the edge flat will work depending on the extent of it pushed in. The main thing you want to do is get a good fit between the fender and the door and the rest will be cosmetic repair. I must say I would recommend finding someone with experience to do this repair or it may be more cost effective to replace the door as this is not an entry level body repair in my opinion.
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

Offline 9F94M567042

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 08:14:48 PM »
Chris, yes this is the original door so that is why I would like to get it repaired. The car is not in a position to be moved so hanging it back on is not possible currently. I have a neighbor of mine that has been doing body/automotive work for over 35 years so I'm going to have him take a look at it. Will post here on how it turns out.
67gta289- this is for a 1969 model. The pictures you posted are for a 1967 model!