Author Topic: Light Scratches in Chrome Bumper  (Read 1597 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Light Scratches in Chrome Bumper
« on: November 03, 2016, 07:27:41 AM »
I understand that chrome plated items such as bumpers, you never really "get rid" of scratches so with that in mind...

What is a good recommendation to disguise such items with light scratches, short of having an otherwise very nice piece replated. Do chrome shops address such things without replating?

Stainless is easy to step down abrasives to a polishing compound (been there, done that) but I don't think it sounds good to do the same to chrome.

Working on a 67 68 NOS rear bumper with light scratching on the lower face near the lower mounting bolts.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Light Scratches in Chrome Bumper
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 12:22:19 PM »
I understand that chrome plated items such as bumpers, you never really "get rid" of scratches so with that in mind...

What is a good recommendation to disguise such items with light scratches, short of having an otherwise very nice piece replated. Do chrome shops address such things without replating?

Stainless is easy to step down abrasives to a polishing compound (been there, done that) but I don't think it sounds good to do the same to chrome.

Working on a 67 68 NOS rear bumper with light scratching on the lower face near the lower mounting bolts.
I saw one on Ebay recently like that. You can try metal polish like mothers or semi chrome but chrome is hard and typically will not polish. The way chrome shops address the problem is to re chrome it.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Light Scratches in Chrome Bumper
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 12:40:54 PM »
I saw one on Ebay recently like that. You can try metal polish like mothers or semi chrome but chrome is hard and typically will not polish. The way chrome shops address the problem is to re chrome it.

Thanks. I bought this bumper off the fee-Bay. Maybe the same one you saw. I offered the seller a lower than asking price because I knew the possibility of not buffing out. At least it is a straight core at a much more reasonable price than the seller originally was asking. Hoping for the best on the semichrome product I ordered. I have a few light scratches on the front bumper guards too, I'll start on one of my "seconds" of those before going onto the bumper project.

Did anyone catch that video link I posted about scratched glass in the other thread? I wonder how that approach might work on chrome too. I have a glass store down the road, I might ask him about this process ;)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments