Author Topic: 2017 Rule Updated  (Read 1619 times)

Offline ChrisV289

2017 Rule Updated
« on: December 01, 2016, 11:35:54 AM »
I noticed the rules were updated on the MCA website.  On the exhaust section, how many points will/could be taken off if the owner cannot provide documentation the car came with dual exhaust?
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: 2017 Rule Updated
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 11:44:25 AM »
there is a maximum 8pt. deduction for the entire exhaust system. in the past i have taken 4 points for duals on a non k or GT. i cannot in good conscience take the entire 8 if the dual system is complete & properly installed as the factory would have done it. other judges may have a different opinion.
5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 04:01:42 PM »
Since the dual and single really don't have any similar component's I would have to deduct fully since that's the rules have and if every judge applies them differently we lose consistency. If there were things like clamps, mounts and such that were common in both systems I would reward the owner for having those and no take the full/max points but base it on a weighted/percentage of the total and the value of the common parts
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Online mmsnyr8120

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 12:04:45 PM »
Couldn't you actually take off a total of 16 points if the exhaust is wrong and not good workmanship, cleanliness, and rusty?  Glad to see it in the rules along with mandatory 1 point for plastic heater plenum.  I think the Assistant head judge is working towards doing a very good job.  Now if the judges will be consistent and take off the points.  Now the judges will have be able to show the owners it is in the rules. 

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 02:35:24 PM »
FYI the rules for the  rest of the classed are now updated.

Offline johnboy

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 06:01:12 PM »
I'm in a bit of a pickle and need some comments/advice/opinions.  My consistently Gold awarded MCA Concours Trailered '66 non-GT convertible has had a dual exhaust system for the entire time I have been showing it and has never lost points for the exhaust system.  I've attended 8 shows in the last 7 years and have never had any judge comment on the exhaust system.Because I cannot show evidence the system was dealer installed, I immediately set about replacing the dual system with a correct single exhaust system in order to comply with the 2017 Rule Update.

Here's the rub:  a proper midpipe with resonator is nowhere to be found at any of the quality restoration parts suppliers.  What should I do?

Also, is the outlet pipe welded to the muffler or clamped?
'66 Convertible family owned since new
VIN: 6R08C219476 - Jun 21, '66 - San Jose
'06 GT Convertible just for fun

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 06:26:13 PM »
Here's the rub:  a proper midpipe with resonator is nowhere to be found at any of the quality restoration parts suppliers.  What should I do?

First be happy they have not required it in the past ;)

Going forward I  would suggest you make the best effort you can, possibly improving, if possible other details and live with the deductions knowing you did the best you could and hope that your choices will increase.  Can the hangers or hardware be better? Can cleanliness be improved?  Things like that

Of course if you did have a perfect or correct system you would want (and judges should want you to be) to be rewarded for that detail as much as anyone else would.   

Without a need, apparently no one has choose to make an acceptable reproduction and often the need/demand and the supply/availability are interconnected.

Look to other areas that you may have been deducted for in the past and maybe improve those areas to offset some of the points. 
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline johnboy

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 06:50:27 PM »
Thanks for the quick response Jeff.  I was afraid that was going to be the answer I got. I really wish the 2017 rules had been in effect a long time ago.  I really like having the requirements spelled out so completely so there is less room for opinion calls from the judges and having tight specificity for those of us who want to "get it right".  We are all better when we know exactly what is expected from us.

What about my question about the outlet pipe being welded to the muffler?

So many of us have benefited from your ever-ready willingness to help.  Many thanks for that!
'66 Convertible family owned since new
VIN: 6R08C219476 - Jun 21, '66 - San Jose
'06 GT Convertible just for fun

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 10:36:18 PM »

Also, is the outlet pipe welded to the muffler or clamped?

I think NPD and Virginia Mustang saw a spike in single exhaust system sales. There will be a lot of cars that were dual exhaust going back to single, including mine
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback

Online caspian65

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 11:35:32 PM »
The tail pipe should be welded to the muffler.  Be sure you have it where you want it before welding... kind of hard to adjust after!
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin