Author Topic: One More New Member  (Read 2417 times)

Offline 1969CJ

One More New Member
« on: December 09, 2016, 09:18:20 PM »
Hi All,
 Just joined and love all the information on this site. My wife and I have been married 38 years. We have 2 children and 7 grandchildren, most of whom have asked for the cars when were dead. We own a 1969 Mach 1 428CJ and a 1973 Mustang convertible. Bought the Mach 20 years ago and surprised the wife 5 years later with the convertible for her birthday.
 I needed to do some work on the Mach 1 and as I got into it decided to have a concours restoration done. I have never done anything like this and will need lots of help. I want to thank you all in advance for your knowledge and guidance. Sure I will ask some stupid questions. Please have patience with me. I have attached a Marti Report so you will know more about my car. Waiting for the rest to arrive so I know more. Thanks,
Mike
1969 Mach 428CJ built 1/30/69
1973 Convertible

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: One More New Member
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 09:42:50 PM »
Welcome!
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline MikeG69

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 07:13:38 AM »
Mike, welcome from one newbie to another.
I have been involved in Mustangs & working on cars for over 45 years.
1969 Mustang Coupe, 9T01F142xxx, assembled in NJ 11/26/68, 302, auto, meadowlark yellow. (project)
2021 Bronco Sport (Wife's DD)
2005 F150 2WD Regular Cab (My DD)
1999 Explorer Sport (Spare)
MCA #-4549

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 08:57:27 AM »
Welcome, and now I want to know what "trim variation" means on your Marti Report!  :D
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline BKnapp

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 09:36:46 AM »
Welcome to the forum. I am a newbie as well and just starting to learn about my Mustang. It is amazing what these guys can glean from a couple of crappy photos or brief discription. Although I am not doing a concours restoration. I am trying to go as original as possible when addressing issues.

FYI - it will be very helpful if you put specific data regarding your project in your signature....otherwise you will be repeated asked for this info before getting responses 😉.
Bill

‘67 390 Coupe A/T  P/S  P/B. (Built 1/4/1967)  7R01S145xxx
‘67 390 FB A/T P/S P/B (Built 3/10/1967) 7F02S173xxx
2007 Shelby GT500 40th Anniv.  Convert. #125

Offline 1969CJ

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 09:37:34 AM »
First, thanks for the welcome to the site. Now for the question; I am the third owner. Second owner purchased the car and was the neighbor of the original owner. Roger had bought the car, repainted, and rebuilt the engine, added PS, headers, stereo, and the Magnum 500 wheels. When I purchased the mustang there were no Mach 1 stripes on the car. The first thing I changed was adding the stripes. Did some other work to the car and went back to show Roger he told me that the car never came with stripes and I told him all Mach's came with stripes. Never thought about it much until deciding to restore and ordering the Marti Report.
 Still waiting for the rest of the Marti Report but now 99% that car was stripe delete.
1973 Convertible

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 01:53:33 PM »
Hello WELCOME !!

From the file attachement (states dlxrtp) ........my guess is you first ordered a Delux and are now showing a "partial"  Elite.)
Do you know more than posting (at this time) or are you waiting on "ala cart questions" you have requested from Kevin??

I wouldn't be surprised to find strip delete.  Had to happen at somepoint with the TENS OF THOUSANDS of Mach ones made.  Dealer PA were pretty good at "knowing how to order a car"  if someone didn't want items (to save money) or wanted SOME THINGS (like highback seats/colored mirrors) but not others (like chrome wheels or stickers)

You mention adding Magnums - Did the car have chrome Mach wheels when Roger had it????   If you have an Elite report I'd look at line items added that aren't part of the Mach One option list. (Kind of doubt they were crediting for strips BUT it maybe on there)
Mirrors would be $20/Wheels $40 (add or credit)

Looking forward to seeing another 428CJ restored!   Seems there were a lot done 7-8 years ago but not many lately!

Mark
P.S.   You also mention "having restoration done" - does that mean will be at a shop and you are paying for the work?  (one stop or multiple sublets)
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 03:01:56 PM »
Welcome Mike - hope you find support and information you can use here
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 1969CJ

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 05:40:11 PM »
 I ordered the Elite Marti Report. What I added to the post is all I have received so far. Ordered about two months ago so I am still waiting on more information.
 Not sure what wheels were on the car originally. Thought Mach 1's came with the styled steel wheels? I am totally new to this aspect of the car hobby. When I bought the car they were only going between 10K & 20K. Road in one when they came out when I was in grade school. Never forgot the feel of the car taking off and rolling the back tires.
 A friend of mine has done aver a 100 mustangs. Ken is very particular and allows me to be part of it and learn as I go. Hired a painter to do bodywork and repaint the car. Ken will then oversee reconstructing the car. I travel every week for my job so I can only help on weekends. Hoping to have car done by July for the Bellevue Roundup. Hoping to have it ready for judging.
1973 Convertible

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 08:11:23 PM »
It's funny .......after reading your post I went and looked at my photos from the Roundup the last few visits !!  (Was thinking I might find your car) 

I have been working with a group of guys in your area on a Boss 351 - it's a tight knit group up there.  WITH MANY old time enthusiasts!   I have a friend Darrel that is a a real car guy - when I visited we went to a car function EVERY NIGHT OF THE WEEK!   (everyone wares Kasey Kanne shirts)  LOL

You can get a great result with a friend with experiance, being hands on AND learing about your car (so you know all in the future)!   I have been working with a number of friends over the years and anyone can pick up where another leaves off.   

Mark
P.S.  Yes Machs were the CHROME Steel styled with caps.  I asked so if you got into "credits" you could figure out what was left off the car!   Could be just the stripes - but could also be the chrome wheels IF the order was for Argent or Dog dish style.   REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING MORE !
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline ExportMach

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2016, 01:15:33 PM »
A double R code !! Very cool !! Welcome.
Mark C
Ford T5 registrar www.FordT5.com
MCA certified judge - '69-'70 concours
1970 Mach 1 T-5; bucked Mar 1970
0F05H172XXX; 63C, 6, 3A, 91, 6, 1

Offline Raven R Code

• 428CJ ~ 4 spd ~ 3L50
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2016, 12:19:41 PM »
Always great to see another R code come back to its former glory.  Wish I had the F5 paint code instead of the A5.....but the black is starting to grow on me.
Dave

~ Do it concours or don't do it.