Author Topic: 70 boss  (Read 3151 times)

Offline BlackMcode1970mach1

70 boss
« on: December 16, 2016, 08:39:18 PM »
Hi all! I need some advice as i'am looking to buy  a 1970 boss . what I know about the car is its misssing  some key things. It runs but has had a repaint and a color change from yellow to white, Its missing the distributor and the original carburator and the snorkel. I don't want to pay too much but I do know they are getting more scarce every day. on a scale of ten I would say the car is a 6 or seven ,Ive  had several people say they want too much and some say you wont find one at that price.So  what is the going rate for a car with a repaint color change and missing the parts described above?I offered far less for the car but got a reply this is what we want because someone said it was worth the asking price.  Any advice would be great. Mark

Re: 70 boss
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 08:55:06 PM »
I know I didn't leave anyone with a ton of info, just need a ball park figure..

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 05:31:18 PM »
Yes you haven't given us much to work with. Would guess its missing more than you listed (smog, exhaust there?)  And I don't think there are really less everyday since few are being driving and wrecked as they once were. You didn't provide any information about the condition of the body, rust repair, condition of the floor.....

Trying to read between the lines but it seems the question is, based on how you presented it in your first post, is the car worth what they are asking. Sure you have taken what they think its worth and compared it to the current crop of 70 Boss's out there for sale over the last 6 months. Always allot of 70's for sale it seems unfortunately sellers often take/remember the asking price and we don't often know the selling price ;) but the best advice I can give you is comparative worth. See what is out there, compare those cars that are similar (you will never find an exact match) and think to your self, would you rather have the car that is being advertised than the one your looking at.  Don't expect to flip the car and make any money and over time expect that you will loose money or at best break even.

If you still interested for negotiation figure $20K for a repaint (just ball park) and $500 - $3000 for each part that its missing that is specific to being a Boss 302.  Formula isn't perfect but neither is the amount of information you have presented to help (said in a nice non-negative way - just the facts ;)

And yes you should or could ask over on the Boss 302 Registry forum but think you get a similar offer. There are many threads over there on the site with similar questions as yours. Good luck with your choice

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 07:49:26 PM »
Well the underbody is fair  I looked at the torque boxes they seem solid.  Quite frankly my mach one blows it away in the underbody category! whoever put the exhaust on   the tail pipe on the left side is hitting the gas tank.  The fenders are rolled and the one on the passenger side sticks out at the bottom by the rocker. the fender aprons have been worked on I can tell. the smog is gone but the rev limiter is there. I took pics and asked  a few people what they thought got mixed results lol I just don't want to pass up something lol  trunk has rust below the letters.

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 08:22:04 PM »
Mark, the question you need to ask is: do I want to own a Boss? Bosses aren't cheap as they are special and so come with the price tag. I agree with Jeffs prices and you can bet if the big Boss parts are missing, then a lot of the smaller ones are as well. You could have at least ~$10k in Boss specific parts alone and these days there is little point in restoring a Boss half-way. They are a high-dollar commitment (I am unfortunately finding out the hard way) but then not many people can say they have a Boss in the garage. And that's cool.....

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 09:40:16 PM »
Im well aware of the value of these cars I just wanted  some views on things.I respect everyones views good and bad. I have a very clean 1970 mach 1 in my garage I know its not a boss but at least I know what I have. I do believe no one has bought this car for various reasons. And right now I cant go back to look at it. The weather in Wisconsin is  a bit cold lol. Mark

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 07:56:29 AM »
Mark, as you can guess, trying to place a value on a car is like saying 'how long is a piece of string'. From the sounds of it, you know 70 Mustangs and from that were able to form an opinion of what the car is worth to you. The fact that the car hasn't sold tells you that most likely everyone thinks the same way about the Boss and the owners are probably unrealistic about the price. It's likely that it'll still be there when things warm up and the owners will be a bit more understanding about prices.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 10:00:28 AM »
Pricing a would-be valuable car is a lot like pricing a fixer-upper home...You can only "estimate" the value IF (and ONLY IF) you find a "comp".
Picture a beautiful home and property with ALL of the luxury features in run-down condition...first, in a ghetto and then the same home inside a gated community, in basically  the same run-down condition. Well, first of all, good luck finding a "comp" in the ghetto!...then look at the potential market for the "sale" once rehabbed. This also tells you how much to spend on purchase price and refurbishing....Sometimes better (now, back to cars) to simply "move" the car to a better market and wholesale it. (doing NOTHING but the transportation and title work)   

...now, if only you could move such a 'house'! ;)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2016, 11:15:07 PM »
Funny thing back in 1979 when I was 18 I could have bought a boss 302 for 800 dollars. Now mind you at that time I wasn't making much and had a  loan on a 1970 sportsroof that I had during my junior and senor years. The car didn't have a boss engine in it but had a shaker and rear spoiler and slats. I was making 1.65 a hour lol   this car  was a silver car. Ive not seen one of those again in that color. The bank wouldn't give me 800 dollars at the time !!!  The guy who owned it drove it to school and also his sister drove it. I always drooled over it and of course his sister was hot also.Oh well the good old days as I saY.  another thing and I will stop , I was looking on craiglist one day as I always do and saw a ad for a  1970 mustang sportsroof. I looked at it and the pictures and low and behold it looked like my old mustang.I called the guy and quizzed him and he said he doubted if it was my old car. I Told  him I had pics to prove it was!! long story short it was my old car!! Small world!!!!  thank you everyone for your insight!!! Mark

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 03:25:13 PM »
You said you have pics?  Post them up or post a link to them and let everyone get a look. 
Also, tell us how much they are asking.

Help us to help you.  We need more to work with.
Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2016, 12:48:25 AM »
Yes I have some pics but not the best. Mark