Author Topic: date codes  (Read 1590 times)

Offline 1966KGT

date codes
« on: December 23, 2016, 08:49:38 AM »
newbie here, hope I don't get laughed off the forum, would standard date coding be followed by parts supplied by outside vendors or would they use their own formula? I assume they're would be some type of standardized lettering/numbers, but assumption is the mother of all screw up! looking for pictures and examples of , 66 sj  radiator ,jack , lug wrench, the 66k gt I just scored after 30 plus years of hounding my previous boss is nestled in my garage now and I'm rounding up a few components that are thought to be incorrect, car has been in warehouse with engine out[broke cam] but all here since 1982, 67000k miles. also, I'm not a good computer operater and would like to know how to put pics of the car as pulled it out of storage this past November 12th, build date 11-8-1965, I check  forum at early am and nite. thank you.
1966 K GT, BUILT 11/08/65 4 SPEED, SAN JOSE CAR, 1969 Mustang convertible, 1970 MACH 1, 1963 GALAXIE Q code Fastback, 1966 mustang t code coupe, fuel injected

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: date codes
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 09:17:35 AM »
you won't get laughed at. there are no dumb questions. we are here to help & guide you in learning all you can about your car. first check the 'library' section here for a write-up on date codes. now to post pics.........you need to have the pic on your computer then check below the post box here for 'attachments and other options'. click it & follow the prompts. very easy to post pics. welcome aboard!!
5F09C331248

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 10:12:02 AM »
Hello
Welcome and congrtulations as "the hunt" is half (or more if you go by some) of the fun !!!

I you correct in that almost all parts are date coded and that there is a difference in the coding from Ford stamping plants (multiple) to casting to the outside vendors (great example is how Holley numbers differ from OTC to Chevy to Ford.

When tackling larger lots most either identify "what is for their car" (if restoring) or what is rarest (read sellable to recoup money ASAP).  It is also easier to tackle "all of the same parts at one time" or at least RESEARCH one part, manufacturer or "style stamp" if that is all you want to know.   Then it is easier as can put a check on that item/area and move one.   This is also key in keeping organized, moving forward and completing a job.

It's is probably easier today than 10 years ago, due to sites like this and the other sites SPEFICIC to your car.
There is good info at other sites for "common parts" (rear ends, transmissions and motors)
YOU will have  to get good at computers !   Both at using search engines (by trying verious terms for results) as well as knowing to LOOK PAST the first hits (often sponsored) and then be the decetive we all are to filter the results yourself. 

It is likely you will start to understand the stampings, pretty fast.  The people that are active in the hobby that help and some that are close "you may know" that are friends.  The cars take the longest time IMO as each one differs in parts, proceedures and condition.

Again welcome!

Mark 
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline 1966KGT

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 10:59:53 AM »
Thanks and I do somewhat understand fords numbering as I have had a mustang since I was 15, I currently have a 63 1/2 q code Galaxie fastback, 1970 4v351c/ 4 speed MACH 1, 1969 CONVERTIBLE, 1966 T CODE COUPE, 1966 K GT Fastback[ not running, resting]. I am in COLLEGE STATION, TEXAS.

1966 K GT, BUILT 11/08/65 4 SPEED, SAN JOSE CAR, 1969 Mustang convertible, 1970 MACH 1, 1963 GALAXIE Q code Fastback, 1966 mustang t code coupe, fuel injected

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 07:31:19 PM »
Thanks and I do somewhat understand fords numbering as I have had a mustang since I was 15, I currently have a 63 1/2 q code Galaxie fastback, 1970 4v351c/ 4 speed MACH 1, 1969 CONVERTIBLE, 1966 T CODE COUPE, 1966 K GT Fastback[ not running, resting]. I am in COLLEGE STATION, TEXAS.

Welcome - you'll find that other vendors sometimes used similar though different date patterns., As mentioned I think the first stop should be the Date Coding Article in the Libray. Just go to that section, click on ConcoursMustang.com - Official 66 Mustang Article List, then go down the list (somewhat alphabetical) and choose - - Date Codes - Decoding Date Codes

You can't always determine if a part belongs to the car but you can often determine if it doesn't ;)   Looking at other cars, built at the same plant at the same time with the same options can provide you with more insight . Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)