Author Topic: 66 trunk floor hole  (Read 1915 times)

Offline gjz30075

66 trunk floor hole
« on: February 25, 2017, 01:46:00 PM »
I need to replace a small amount of my trunk floor and the hole, as shown in the pic (not my car).   The hole in the picture is in a small recess but all the floor
replacement pieces I see are flat, and the hole is not in a recess.    So, is this a 'hammer and dolly' job to get correct or is there a replacement trunk floor
piece that has the hole in a recess?   

For what it's worth, the car is a late May build '66 GT350
Greg Z

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 66 trunk floor hole
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 06:58:04 PM »
I need to replace a small amount of my trunk floor and the hole, as shown in the pic (not my car).   The hole in the picture is in a small recess but all the floor
replacement pieces I see are flat, and the hole is not in a recess.    So, is this a 'hammer and dolly' job to get correct or is there a replacement trunk floor
piece that has the hole in a recess?   

That is the hole used for the assemblyline fixture to hold the car down the paint line and beyond. I have seen some panels with holes that were out of place plus they were not beveled. Make a template and modify the trunk floor rather then looking for a repro with one would be my suggestion. Chances are a aftermarket replacement will not be in the right spot and will have to be worked in some fashion to match the original  . Make sure the hole lines up with the corresponding hole in the bottom of the frame rail. Best of luck with your project.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 07:30:06 PM »
My Oct 15, 65, San Jose built Hardtop was flush, my Oct 18, 65, San Jose built "K" Fastback has a recess. Neither have had that area repaired. The Weld and Sealant Manual indicates that they are not different.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline gjz30075

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 08:53:53 PM »
Bob, the repair area will only be a 1 3/4"  by 1 3/4" square piece,  maybe less, with the hole in the middle.   It's really just the recessed area that has some
rot.  I was hoping to just cut out this area from a trunk floor replacement piece.  Or,   I might just punch a hole in some sheet metal and work on making a recess.     This repair patch will be very small.   Jim, interesting observation.   The hole on the passenger side is also in a recess and is solid so I know the recess area is correct for this car.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 08:57:59 PM by gjz30075 »
Greg Z

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 09:25:11 PM »
Bob, the repair area will only be a 1 3/4"  by 1 3/4" square piece,  maybe less, with the hole in the middle.   It's really just the recessed area that has some
rot.  I was hoping to just cut out this area from a trunk floor replacement piece.  Or,   I might just punch a hole in some sheet metal and work on making a recess.     This repair patch will be very small.   Jim, interesting observation.   The hole on the passenger side is also in a recess and is solid so I know the recess area is correct for this car.
Thanks!
Many times this area is bare metal other times it is spot painted black. when bare metal it is prone to rust. I would cut the piece out of a donor car.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 02:23:48 AM »
rot.  I was hoping to just cut out this area from a trunk floor replacement piece.  Or,   I might just punch a hole in some sheet metal and work on making a recess.     This repair patch will be very small.   

You have a number of ways you can address the issue. Depending on where you are a solid donor may be difficult leaving you with making your own. Originally the larger circle would be recessed a little or allot depending on the worker and how tight they screwed it down. You will find an article here on the site int he library about reproducing the bare area and their purpose.  In the 65-70 Shelby list of articles its the second one from the top titled - Body Dolly Marks- Reproducing

Often, over the years owners would spray paint or apply rust treatments like the old Naval Jelly which turns a almost black finish

The hole on the passenger side is also in a recess and is solid so I know the recess area is correct for this car.
Thanks!

Would not say that the recess area is "correct" but instead "accepted"
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline gjz30075

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 06:41:21 AM »
Originally the larger circle would be recessed a little or allot depending on the worker and how tight they screwed it down.   

Ah, hence the difference.   Makes sense now.   

Thanks everyone for your help.   
Greg Z