Author Topic: Autolite Battery 24 trouble  (Read 9665 times)

Offline Ralf

• http://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/
Autolite Battery 24 trouble
« on: March 27, 2017, 04:45:30 PM »
Hi,
have an Autolite Battery (seems repro) which I have some trouble with. Problems with starting the car. Seems battery has not enough power anymore.
Charged, has 13,3 V than....drops to 12,5 V in 2 days (battery outside the car).
Always thought the batterie is service free and none of the caps can be opened.
Today I figured out that one cap can be opened......don't know if other caps can be opened as well....by hand no way....to strong.
See pics.
Block shows no liquid inside.....acid/water....
Anything I can do here to recover battery? Not really familiar with batteries.
1967 Convertible 289, C4 Automatic, Built Nov 30 1966, SJ, DSO75.
Pictures: https://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/mustang-1967-impressionen

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Autolite Battery 24 trouble
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 05:19:15 PM »
You NOW have what is known in the Mustang world as a Mazda Miata battery case. You should be able to find a thread (at this site) on how to gut the case and install the Miata battery inside...or buy another repro and hope for the best ;)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 06:18:27 PM »
Hi,
have an Autolite Battery (seems repro) which I have some trouble with. Problems with starting the car. Seems battery has not enough power anymore.
Charged, has 13,3 V than....drops to 12,5 V in 2 days (battery outside the car).
Always thought the batterie is service free and none of the caps can be opened.
Today I figured out that one cap can be opened......don't know if other caps can be opened as well....by hand no way....to strong.
See pics.
Block shows no liquid inside.....acid/water....
Anything I can do here to recover battery? Not really familiar with batteries.
the repro batteries are of the maintenance free variety that are sealed up inside a period looking Autolite case. The caps are typically glue on so you can't remove them . You can't top off this type of battery with water or acid like you could the old style batteries.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline rcgt350

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 11:34:53 PM »
How old is your battery?
1967 GT 350 W White
1970 Boss 302 GG Restoration in progress
2012 Boss 302 C Orange
1930 Ford Model A 4 Door Deluxe Town Sedan

Offline Ralf

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 04:45:17 PM »
How old is your battery?
Unable to answer, bought the car in 2014, battery was already in there...guess 5 years. Hm,  how I could open one cap...?

Offline gjz30075

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 09:25:28 AM »
You NOW have what is known in the Mustang world as a Mazda Miata battery case. You should be able to find a thread (at this site) on how to gut the case and install the Miata battery inside...or buy another repro and hope for the best ;)

Agreed.   Here's a nice writeup by Jim Woods
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=5719.0
Greg Z

Offline Ralf

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 10:49:52 AM »
Agreed.   Here's a nice writeup by Jim Woods
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=5719.0

Thx for the link.

Attached another 2 pictures. I can not see that there is anything broken off.
The cap itself as well as the lid has a thread.....
Still wondering.
Btw. didn't charge the battery for a week, still on 12.5V

Offline 5F08KGT

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 11:19:26 AM »
I got tired of the $300 Mazda Miata Batteries, I bought an EXCIDE battery at HOME DEPOT (Group 24F) (THESE batteries have the gusset for using the factory '65 hold down.
 I then bought a GREAT, very authentic TOPPER and am very satisfied with it and don't show my car anymore in MCA Concours.

The EXCIDE Group24F is right around $100 at HD.

Offline Ralf

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 12:01:29 PM »
I got tired of the $300 Mazda Miata Batteries, I bought an EXCIDE battery at HOME DEPOT (Group 24F) (THESE batteries have the gusset for using the factory '65 hold down.
 I then bought a GREAT, very authentic TOPPER and am very satisfied with it and don't show my car anymore in MCA Concours.

Did almost the same, bought a battery where the repop Autolite Staful lid was fitting precisely. Great working battery and from a visual point of view good enough for me.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 05:34:56 PM by Ralf »

Offline Morsel

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 04:57:31 PM »
This is a repro, I have the exact same one that actually is supposed to be a direct copy of the originals that you fill with acid, I still have mine in the box and never activated it... I got this back in the late 90's. They came out a couple years later with what everyone else is talking about above which replaced these as a more current and better choice for a repro battery (maintenance free). This one you have didn't do so well in the market and I believe they aren't even made anymore for this exact reason, they don't last and are weak to begin with...

If you want this exact replacement, you can buy my brand new one that's never been activated, haha...

Hope this helps...

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 07:36:34 PM »
This is a repro, I have the exact same one that actually is supposed to be a direct copy of the originals that you fill with acid, I still have mine in the box and never activated it... I got this back in the late 90's. They came out a couple years later with what everyone else is talking about above which replaced these as a more current and better choice for a repro battery (maintenance free). This one you have didn't do so well in the market and I believe they aren't even made anymore for this exact reason, they don't last and are weak to begin with...

If you want this exact replacement, you can buy my brand new one that's never been activated, haha...

Hope this helps...

Jason
The old repro batteries as well as current ones are only exact replacement for 68,69,and 70. The old replacement had a error in the printing on the label. The newer version had the error corrected .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 09:38:29 PM »

I looked at these batteries and the positive and negative posts were on the wrong side.  Did they recently change?  I had to go to Pep Boys and get a Bosch battery which has the posts on the right side and has the lip for the hold down. 
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline aaatp

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 11:18:33 PM »
Have an Exide Group 24 batter I bought at Menards. The posts are on the correct side.

John

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2017, 12:08:32 AM »
While wandering around Wal-Mart on Monday, a battery display caught my eye. A 24F battery (a Wal-Mart brand maybe) for $49.95. I didn't do a close-up inspection, like terminal location, or the hold down lips at the ends, or other specifications, but at that price, it may warrant a second look.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 5F08KGT

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2017, 10:39:45 AM »
While wandering around Wal-Mart on Monday, a battery display caught my eye. A 24F battery (a Wal-Mart brand maybe) for $49.95. I didn't do a close-up inspection, like terminal location, or the hold down lips at the ends, or other specifications, but at that price, it may warrant a second look.
Jim

Thats a battery that you'll be lucky to get a year out of.....