Author Topic: 65 wiring loom?  (Read 2455 times)

Offline Airborne

65 wiring loom?
« on: August 05, 2010, 05:11:44 PM »
Hi all, New member from the u.k. Have been checking this forum for a while now and the information here is fantastic. Just started a complete restoration on my 65 fastback sj early stages at present but when taking the interior out i found a wiring loom going to the stick shift. On this a little white tag saying AUTO? But i have a 289 2bbl with a 4 speed top loader.  Just would like to know if the car would have had an AUTO when leaving the factory and to be correct should i change the wiring loom so the auto loom is taken out of the car when restoring?
Any info is a help
Thanks Matt

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: 65 wiring loom?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 05:25:03 PM »
what trans code do you have on the door data tag? a '6' would be ann autotrans.
5F09C331248

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 10:31:28 PM »
Where does this harness connect to at the transmission?  Backup lights?  If so, they should be black/red.  If red/blue, those are for the neutral safety switch, which is specific to the automatic transmission.  The only other possibility is a console light wire, but blue/red. 
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 08:50:23 AM »
If it was an automatic car, the wires would have powered the shift indicator light.  If it's just a pair of wires, that's probably what it was.  If it was console wiring, it would have 3 female plugs.  Back-up light wiring would only be present on manual trans cars and would go through a hole in the tunnel.  As Mid. says, it would be black wires with a dark red stripe.

There are some places to look on the body to help determine if the car was a 4 speed.  The location where the speedometer cable comes into the car is unique and there would be a hole on the passenger side toe board that is used to secure a clip to hold the cable up.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Airborne

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 09:50:44 AM »
Thanks for the info guys. checked the colours and there are 2 looms going to the shift stick. First is a light blue with red stripe and the other is a black with the white tag printed formco sx. The second loom has three female connectors and the wires are green/yellow, black/blue and a single red. Door tag is missing but can tell it is a repro door. regards matt

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 10:56:53 AM »
Sounds like a console harness and also the harness for an automatic shifter indicator light.

Where does your speedometer cable come through to the inside of the car?  Is it over on the side of the transmission tunnel or near the steering column?

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 08:57:41 PM »
Sounds like a console harness and also the harness for an automatic shifter indicator light.

Charles nailed it.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Airborne

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 10:06:31 AM »
I think your right Charles the speedo cable comes in near the steering column.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 10:31:33 AM »
I think your right Charles the speedo cable comes in near the steering column.

It's a detail commonly overlooked when someone converts to a 4 speed.