Author Topic: First show, what to expect?  (Read 1127 times)

Offline KevinK

Re: First show, what to expect?
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2017, 04:35:03 PM »
One last tip. Judges do remember cars. They also remember the cars which do not improve over various shows. No car is perfect and if you use the judging sheets to improve it, you will be headed in the right direction. The judges do notice these details.

Offline caspian65

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2017, 04:56:31 PM »
One last tip. Judges do remember cars. They also remember the cars which do not improve over various shows. No car is perfect and if you use the judging sheets to improve it, you will be headed in the right direction. The judges do notice these details.

Some Judges have better memory than others, although I would suggest that Judges should always approach the judging of any car with a fresh set of eyes and not use any past recollections or bias for the evaluation at-present.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline KevinK

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2017, 07:35:59 PM »
What I was implying is that judges do notice when the newer guys continue to improve their cars over the years. Just as they will always look for that hole in the muffler they saw last year on the same car they saw the last 3 years.

Offline sed6

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2017, 10:40:05 PM »
Also glad to hear of your participation and your positive attitude.  Hope we can continue to help - lots of 65-66 experience and knowledge here on the site.  Time to take accounting of the issues, make a list and a plan that suits your needs and goal

I've made an accounting of everything and tried to break it down into a couple of simple categories...

Stuff to paint (self explanatory) -lost 20% of my points here
Stuff to refinish (polishing or plating, etc) -lost 20%
Stuff to repair (broken, crooked, loose, etc) -lost 20%
Stuff to replace (correctness counts) -lost 40% of my points here

I don't know if the above way is the "right" way to organize my to do list, but it makes sense to me. Within each category there are small, medium and large projects to be done (in both terms of labor and cost), and I can pick and choose my projects depending on my time, interest and budget.

Thanks everyone for the support!

Offline nham3407

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2017, 11:04:22 PM »
Like the others have commented glad you had a great time and met many folks and made some new mustang connections. In my opinion that's what these gatherings are for. I won't dismiss the time invested by all in preparing their cars and the endless hours of researching, planning ,and cleaning and the money spent.  These are major factors, but remember this please after we are gone the car will move on to its next owner, the friendships and information shared and built with others long outlast the material car. Prioritize what you can and tackle them when you can. Make plans for next show either local or MCA and enjoy the camaraderie made wth others.
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 06/68

Offline mikeljgt500kr

• '68 KR,'69 Boss9, '64 FIA Cobra
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2017, 08:50:37 PM »
You should come for the cars, and stay for the people........
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.

Offline qman

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2017, 10:44:42 AM »
I'm glad you had a great time at the KC show! Along with what everyone else has contributed here I would like to add what a friend of mind, Richard Porter, told me when I first got started....Look over your judging sheet and do an inventory of the deductions then attack the least expensive things first. You will be surprised how these less expensive corrections always make a substantial difference on the next judging sheet.

Offline Richard P.

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2017, 07:08:26 PM »
I'm glad you had a great time at the KC show! Along with what everyone else has contributed here I would like to add what a friend of mind, Richard Porter, told me when I first got started....Look over your judging sheet and do an inventory of the deductions then attack the least expensive things first. You will be surprised how these less expensive corrections always make a substantial difference on the next judging sheet.

That has worked well for me over the years qman. It's good to hear from you.