Author Topic: Orange peel question.  (Read 5299 times)

Offline ruger

Orange peel question.
« on: August 16, 2017, 07:59:30 AM »
Now that I have fresh Silver Jade paint applied I have a question about how much orange peel is good.  It's pretty uniform across the entire car.  A little less on the roof.  Does anyone have a photo of correct orange peel?  I guess that would be the term. 
By the way Jeff.  Thanks for the proper painting techniques.  I painted it just as described in your outlines.  Hood hanging   etc...
1969 Sportsroof Mustang E'
63D
250 six cyl.
C4 trans.
Dearborn build Nov. 1968

Offline jwc66k

Re: Orange peel question.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 12:40:31 PM »
Now that I have fresh Silver Jade paint applied I have a question about how much orange peel is good.  It's pretty uniform across the entire car.  A little less on the roof. 
If (a big if) the painter know how to create orange peel, the surfaces facing up should not have any. That would be the roof, trunk lid and the rear fenders. The hood and front fenders were hung to paint in a different area along with the front valence and lower grill bar. That leaves the "C" pillars (the vent areas on a fastback, the same areas on a hardtop) to "allow" orange peel - for judging purposes. I like the look of a good finish on the roof, hood and sides - no orange peel (personal preference). The "C" pillar orange peel covers the need. Obviously a convertible will have different spots, I would recommend the rear fenders where the folding top is located. Remember, too much is bad, none is bad.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline ruger

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 11:02:59 AM »
Thanks Jim,  I have been searching out cars in my area to look at with none done to concours standards.  I am gonna leave some peel on the lower parts of the car,  rockers etc...   I hope this will work out for me but I really cannot find any standards for peel.  Thanks for your info. 
63D
250 six cyl.
C4 trans.
Dearborn build Nov. 1968

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 12:48:23 PM »
I hope this will work out for me but I really cannot find any standards for peel.   
It's a quandary, a "standard" for a desired flaw.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 03:11:23 PM »
The MCA judging sheets note that orange peel should be found throughout the car.  In the past the judges would look for orange peel and if they found it anywhere, that was generally acceptable.  I believe they are getting tighter on that standard.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 04:41:39 PM »
Thanks Jim,  I have been searching out cars in my area to look at with none done to concours standards.  I am gonna leave some peel on the lower parts of the car,  rockers etc...   I hope this will work out for me but I really cannot find any standards for peel.  Thanks for your info.

Some things are difficult to put into words so it falls back on training for the judges and the like.  So many cars have been sanded and buffed that it easy easy to note that there is no orange peel. The degree of orange peel on a car that has it is the subjective and difficult to describe part. I typically use the clip board to messure the amount since it provides a reflection of a sharp edge that I can tilt and move as we move around the car. In a pinch, pant legs  can provide a edge to compare also
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline PerkinsRestoration

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 10:15:16 PM »
It's a quandary, a "standard" for a desired flaw.
Jim

Jim, Orange peel is a result of the paint drying process as much as application of the paint. There is no such thing as no orange peel unless the paint is sanded and buffed. Sanding and buffing is used to correct the flaws in a poor paint job. I think you are confused?

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 12:45:25 AM »
Jim, Orange peel is a result of the paint drying process as much as application of the paint. There is no such thing as no orange peel unless the paint is sanded and buffed. Sanding and buffing is used to correct the flaws in a poor paint job. I think you are confused?
Bob,
I painted my first car in 1968 in a carport in Sunnyvale, CA, on a weekend. It was a buddy's 60 Triumph TR3. He wanted it metal flake silver. It came out pretty good. A good guess is I've painted a couple dozen since then, in between designing and building USAF tracking stations, and other trivial projects. Oh, I got my painting experience in the Navy painting ships (Tin Cans) and electronic equipment (mostly radar). That was applied to Mustangs. I got a few awards, and sold a few completed projects, with an appropriate amount of "orange peel". Confused? No. 
Jim

Offline ruger

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 07:57:57 AM »
Thanks for the info guys.  I know that trying to explain a desired amount of orange peel is a tough job.  I simply had areas that looked a little heavier with peel than others.  I have worked the sail panel area to where it is at a low visibility from a straight ahead view but from an angle it is more pronounced.  I will proceed to do the entire car to that level.  I just thought maybe there would be some pictures to help me with this.  I will get some pics of mine and post them.  Thanks
63D
250 six cyl.
C4 trans.
Dearborn build Nov. 1968

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 11:35:58 AM »
There are variables that go into the appearance of orange peel.  Remember that these cars were painted with acrylic enamel and then baked to cure, so the paint would flow out and have a more 'coarse' appearance,  the orange peel looks 'bigger', for a better term.  Most painting done in professional shops these days would not be baked like done at the factory.  This ends up requiring the perfect combination of paint mixture, spray method, exterior temperature, humidity... to replicate the original orange peel appearance.  I'm by no means a professional painter, but have discussed this at length in the past with my paint guy, who has been running production body shops for 35+ years.

Offline ruger

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 02:47:00 PM »
It sounds like orange peel has a variance from person to person.     I'm not building a Thoroughbred car so I should be ok.
63D
250 six cyl.
C4 trans.
Dearborn build Nov. 1968

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 02:58:26 PM »
It sounds like orange peel has a variance from person to person.     I'm not building a Thoroughbred car so I should be ok.

IF your showing the car be aware that this is a concours car expected characteristic

A picture provided in another thread will illustrate one example

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 04:45:20 PM »

There should be no difference in the paint application between concours and Thoroughbred.  It's a right or wrong thing.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2017, 05:19:32 PM »

There should be no difference in the paint application between concours and Thoroughbred.  It's a right or wrong thing.
To phrase slightly different, both Concours Trailered and Thoroughbred have the same paint expectations. If you are not building the car to show in ether class you will be OK (no deduction) . If you are building it to show expect a possible deduction depending on how the paint looks.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline JohnRB

• 0F03R120303
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2017, 05:36:05 PM »
IF your showing the car be aware that this is a concours car expected characteristic

A picture provided in another thread will illustrate one example

How do you judge the amount of orange peel? To much, to little or spot on?

Thanks

John