Author Topic: How to tell NOS decals from repros  (Read 1681 times)

Online Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
How to tell NOS decals from repros
« on: August 24, 2017, 03:01:57 PM »
 I have purchased some NOS items locally and in the lot was a stack of Mustang decals. They include several of the "289 4V", Sprint (silver and blue), tire pressure decals, and one trunk decal for the spare / jack instructions. All are for the 65-66 model year. The reason why I am asking how to differentiate is that this gentleman who had these, (now passed away), was into Mustangs from day one and was an avid member of the MCA to which I even have a vintage MCA window sticker that was in the lot. There are Ford part numbers at the bottom but I'm sure repros can copy that too? Because he hadn't been as active into Mustangs in his later years, I would dare say these would have to be from the late 80's. I'm guessing repros would produced then, and even with the Ford numbers?
  I will try and post some pics of these decals tonight. 
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 03:04:13 PM by Hipo giddyup »
1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Offline jwc66k

Re: How to tell NOS decals from repros
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 03:18:24 PM »
After 50 some odd years, I think that any NOS decals for your car would be rare to find, if not impossible. Your quest would be better off determining which of the reproductions is the closest to a factory original. Many posts on the forum address that.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Online Hipo giddyup

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 12:41:29 PM »
Here are a few pics of the decals. Some have Ford part numbers some do not? Especially the tire pressure decals? I'm guessing all Ford decals would have had a part number.
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 12:46:46 PM »
"Faithful" reproductions would include the Ford part number if it was part of the original decal.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Online Hipo giddyup

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 12:57:31 PM »
Some others

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 05:12:08 PM »
Decals were some of the earliest reproductions for out cars so there are allot of variations especially from the early years as there were many companies making them (most stopped ater a point) and later the business settled out with only one or two competing for the market.

Think that each would need to be compared to the originals in style and quality of font- type of backing paper and other fine details. A few of the ones you posted are IMHO look to be repos based on the style and quality of the print.

For example comparing your posted jacking instructions side by side with an original suggests that yours is a reproduction as it lacks details - stopped at four.   Maybe I can compare them in the next post if that would help you or others

For some decals there would have been a thin clear layer over the sticker - that may be visible in a fold or risen away from the main body
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 05:29:52 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 06:04:40 PM »
Took a few moments and compared the jacking instructions to originals. Results below

When you reproduce decals you often need to "clean up" the copy. Sometimes places will substitute a different font and rewrite all the text rather than clean up each individual letter - takes allot more work) They often choose a font that is available at the time when they are doing the reproduction (yes fonts drop out of use and unavailable especially once we got to the digital times but even before than). This other font is close but often differs in a number of ways - the reason its call by a different name from the original one used. In this case the most obvious difference is the letter G. The designer also choose to move one word for some reason.

As far as the illustration many find it difficult to just leave things alone so we "improve" things, make the original drawing more complete or clean them up too much. Thinking more perfect will be better - especially some one not in the hobby and sitting at a desk or behind a computer screen.  Doing this sort of thing for 30 or so years has provided some insight into common practices.  In some area your copy has more details (IMHO improvements from original) while in other areas clean up of the copy eliminated other details

So here is just some (there are a tone more) comparisons for you and others

Your copy

A cropped version of an original - chosen since it was a bit clear than some of the others. Did compare these details to another dozen or so examples to make sure your example could not be explained away as a different version.   I didn't find that

Jeff Speegle

Online Hipo giddyup

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 10:36:00 PM »
 Thanks Jeff, that is good solid proof. That's exactly what I was needing to see. Not upset that these are likely reproductions, as I will use most of them and pass on the others to folks that can use them. Thanks again much appreciated  ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 10:41:14 PM »
Thanks for the opportunity to show others how this would work in many cases. Better time spent that one of those Find The Differences apps you can get to waste time on your tablet or smart phone  ;D
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 11:30:25 PM »
Jeff ,help me remember about some of the jacking instruction stickers that even had the initials of the artist hidden very small in the illustration. I don't think it was all but at least some. It was fun to try and find Waldo. I can't remember what year /years Mustang examples it was. The initials were not typically picked up when they were reproduced.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 11:41:52 PM »
Jeff ,help me remember about some of the jacking instruction stickers that even had the initials of the artist hidden very small in the illustration. I don't think it was all but at least some. It was fun to try and find Waldo. I can't remember what year /years Mustang examples it was. The initials were not typically picked up when they were reproduced.

If I recall correctly its something that has been found on early Shelby's
Jeff Speegle