Author Topic: Coupe headliner replacement - 65  (Read 1594 times)

Offline 1969 Cale II

Coupe headliner replacement - 65
« on: August 09, 2023, 10:15:23 PM »
How much work is really needed to be done when replacing a headliner in a 65 coupe? I did a 65 Comet years ago but that was a total restore. My first guess is trying to do it with both front and back glass in will be a night mare? With that, ss moulding go back in rubber before glass is reinstalled? Can you leave roof rail weatherstrip/moulding in?. Thanks
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 07:16:57 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Coupe headliner replacement
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2023, 12:11:35 AM »
The proper way to do it, to have it done as original, would be to have the front/rear glass out and the roof rail w/s channels removed.

On a coupe, the hardest part is getting the wrinkles out of the rear quarters.  As long as the headliner is centered and stretched to the front correctly, the quarters should be able to be worked smooth.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 07:16:33 PM by J_Speegle »
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Coupe headliner replacement
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2023, 07:16:23 PM »
I've done them without removing the side weatherstrip channel but never would I do it without removing the front and rear windows.  Windshield with a rubber gasket is so much easier IMHO for an early car when compared to the 69 plus ones. Think everyone will agree working out the coupe rear extensions can be a pain with the vinyl type headliner material used. Clot was much earlier since you could shrink the material in place to reduce or remove any wrinkles.

Remember to warm the headliner before you start to remove the boxing wrinkles and make it more plyable especially in the winters in some parts of the country or world ;) 

Going to re-title the thread since is pretty basic and applies to all year pretty much as this point and that will allow me to leave it in this section of the site
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)