Author Topic: Insurance claim  (Read 1933 times)

Offline preaction

Insurance claim
« on: October 25, 2017, 09:49:23 PM »
I was fueling my car this last Sunday at my favorite pump and much to my surprise a woman tries to go around my car to get to the next pump and tags my car on its front corner, scratched and chipped paint along with the chrome on the bumper scratched through so no denting of the body. I have Hagerty insurance and so far they have been very responsive but are willing to let me make a claim through them and not the party who did the damage, she does have insurance. Does anyone have experience as to what is the best way to go ?
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline rodster

Re: Insurance claim
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 10:40:52 PM »
Well that sucks.... guess she was in a big hurry like lots of people these days.

Fortunately, no experience with this issue but good luck and sorry to hear that happened.

Rod
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline BKnapp

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 09:37:52 AM »
Hi John - I’m sorry to hear about the damage. I am only guessing, but I suspect your insurance company will go after the other party’s insurance company to cover the cost and your deductible.
Bill

‘67 390 Coupe A/T  P/S  P/B. (Built 1/4/1967)  7R01S145xxx
‘67 390 FB A/T P/S P/B (Built 3/10/1967) 7F02S173xxx
2007 Shelby GT500 40th Anniv.  Convert. #125

Offline 69cobrajetrugae2

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 10:43:19 AM »
I'm not sure I'd be letting my insurance company pay for it since they could raise your rates, let her pay for it.  In fact, I might have forwarded an estimate to her insurance company and request payment and leave Hagerty out of it completely. Has the lady formally admitted to being at fault?  Sorry to hear this happened..

Offline Smokey 15

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 07:01:59 PM »
Her insurance should totally pay the repair bill.  I would call Hagerty and inform them anyway.  And make damned certain her insurance company doesn't try to steer you to one of their 'preferred' shops.  Also, check out from where the replacement bumper will be sourced. You should get the same quality as what you have on the car, no less.

Offline preaction

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 09:59:33 PM »
The driver has taken responsibility and never was in question, I'm very curious why Hagerty is so quick to want to send an appraiser and to pay out on my policy. Unfortunately when this happened I didn't have a pair of reading glasses handy and when I took pics of her and her documents I didn't realize the insurance card wasn't there Hagerty said they could provide it though. Lousy way to end a great season.

Offline 69cobrajetrugae2

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 02:28:51 AM »
I didn't use Hagertys, Grundy, and others because after reviewing the policys and it's "exclusions" they we're not agreements that I was comfortable with.

Two Examples.

1. If the car is racing and there is a claim, No check for you.

2.If the insured is drinking alcohol and there is a claim and Hagerties decides that it's definition of a "what a reasonable person would or would not have done with regard to alcohol consumption" after the insured consumed one beer and there is a claim, I would agree to let Haggerites make the call irrespective of what the rules are in the local authority or jurisdiction or proper application of statues in said jurisdiction, no check for you.

Screw them and their secondary insurance swill.  Of course they are wonderful if you file no claims.

What is racing according to them?

A poor dumb lonely insured spins his tires after car show in a sad and pathetic attempt to get the attention from the Idaho 5, 1500 pounds of corn fed fun girls that rarely disappoint.

He loses control of the car and succeeds in getting their attention when he cartwheels through the windshield like a human propeller ragdoll sporting a mullet flattening the Idaho 5 like a bacon smack down on a greasy spoon flattop.

Hagerty says, "Racing" no check for you.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 10:48:45 AM »
I am trying to remember the "username"of a member in this forum who, about 2 years ago maybe, was rear-ended in his 68 Coupe pretty hard. This guy, whoever he is, may have some help or thoughts along the lines of what you are asking...

Who was it? Does anyone remember?
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Smokey 15

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 10:24:11 PM »
 I have Hagerty. I actually read my policies. My race cars are covered, except for the time it takes to make it down the track. There is coverage available for racing, but I have not looked into it. I choose to never drink when I am out with any of our old cars. Just common sense. They will pay if you are not DUI by definition of the PD.  I have had several claims over the years and was never questioned about anything other than what occurred.
 I have heard horror stories from friends and acquaintances who had their collector cars insured through regular insurance companies. Not all of them are bad, but old cars are not their specialty.

Offline preaction

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 11:13:44 PM »
As it turns out this is a real can of worms. Her insurance company had an estimator come out and his estimate is less than half of what I'm told it would take to make the repairs. I now have to consider if it would be better all around to go through Hagerty get a better result and maybe take a hit in premiums ugh.

Offline BKnapp

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 12:02:09 AM »
I would talk to Hagerty. I am pretty sure they will get your car taken care of and go after the other company for the full amount...including your deductible. You were not at fault and premiums should not go up.

My wife was rear ended 2 years ago. My company sent out an adjuster...he gave me the quote and a couple shops to consider, but I could go anywhere. I called the Lexus dealership and they recommended one of the shops on the list. I took it there and picked it up when done. Insurance company paid the full tab including my deductible. My premium never went up.
Bill

‘67 390 Coupe A/T  P/S  P/B. (Built 1/4/1967)  7R01S145xxx
‘67 390 FB A/T P/S P/B (Built 3/10/1967) 7F02S173xxx
2007 Shelby GT500 40th Anniv.  Convert. #125

Offline Smokey 15

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2017, 10:10:40 AM »
As it turns out this is a real can of worms. Her insurance company had an estimator come out and his estimate is less than half of what I'm told it would take to make the repairs. I now have to consider if it would be better all around to go through Hagerty get a better result and maybe take a hit in premiums ugh.
The insurance companies are full of nightcrawlers and weasels.  Do, as suggested and talk to Hagerty.  Tell them about the lowball estimate. Listen to their advice. Get your own estimates, prove theirs invalid and stand ground against that company. You don't need to take their estimate. Your car was fine, and life was fine, before their customer damaged it.
 Some idiot woman backed all the way across a parking lot and hit the front bumper of our '68 Impala.  Hagerty paid and went after her insurance. This was in Michigan where we have "No Fault" except in cases where vehicle is legally parked and unoccupied, which ours was. In that case the offender's insurance is liable. Our rates have never climbed from any claim.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 10:16:55 AM by Smokey 15 »