Author Topic: 69 Shelby Side Scoops  (Read 305 times)

Online 69GT350H

69 Shelby Side Scoops
« on: November 13, 2017, 01:57:13 AM »
All of my AO Smith fiberglass parts have a part number, except the side scoops. Are they supposed to have a part number? The back if mine are rough, you can see the strands. They are thick, and I have no reason to believe they are not original. But as I was looking at mine vs other cars, the tale end of mine do not see to be as high as what I see in photos of others. I have tried to see if I can fit them higher up, but they do not fit the curves of the panel at all. Both my rear quarters are Dynacorn replacements, but I have photos that show the scoops shortly after I purchased the car in 1981 and they look to be in the same place.

Now...

in  1992

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 69 Shelby Side Scoops
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 12:33:55 PM »
All of my AO Smith fiberglass parts have a part number, except the side scoops. Are they supposed to have a part number? The back if mine are rough, you can see the strands. They are thick, and I have no reason to believe they are not original. But as I was looking at mine vs other cars, the tale end of mine do not see to be as high as what I see in photos of others. I have tried to see if I can fit them higher up, but they do not fit the curves of the panel at all. Both my rear quarters are Dynacorn replacements, but I have photos that show the scoops shortly after I purchased the car in 1981 and they look to be in the same place.

The factory scoops were injection molded (no strands) and they would have the engineering number on the inside. They typically were pink when bare from the factory and early service.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Online 69GT350H

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 01:02:55 PM »
When I sand into them, the area sanded turns smooth white. I'll get a picture of the back side today.

Online 69GT350H

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 02:31:57 PM »
So I was just searching the WEB to see if anyone might have posted a picture of the back side of a 1969 Shelby Fastback side scoop (no luck there) but found this over at the diyford.com site. These look more like my scoops. Note the way the top back of the scoop drops from the upper quarter body line, and yes, the rear quarter body line does rise at the back of the scoop.

Whereas on other cars the back of the scoop looks more squared off, does not drop.

Is this just an illusion due to the different angles?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 11:17:00 PM »
Is this just an illusion due to the different angles?

Considering that the web is a two dimensional medium compounded by looking at restored cars that may have replacement quarters and possibly allot of other work to body and scoops I think its difficult to compare. One reason I held back posting a dozen of examples of even unrestored cars.

Sorry I don't have a close up of the back side to share

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Online 69GT350H

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 01:35:10 AM »

Sorry I don't have a close up of the back side to share

Why is that one missing all the mounting hardware, holes for screws, brackets for the rear clips?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 05:22:06 PM »
Why is that one missing all the mounting hardware, holes for screws, brackets for the rear clips?

Would guess (not my part) that the picture shows a service replacement (NOS) part rather than one that was taken from a car and already mounted at one point
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 06:10:49 PM »
That part looks like some of the left over 69 fiberglass that came out of AO Smith. There are many examples of unfinished parts that have gotten out into the public domain from that sell off when operations shut down. Hood innerstructures, partial half's of end caps, fenders with out metal bolt on strip bonded on just to name a few. I have had numerous of these incomplete pieces over the years Jim Cowles at Shelby parts still has various parts from the buy he made decades ago.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Online 69GT350H

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 10:16:24 PM »
These are the scoops that were on the car when I first found it around 1975. It had been sitting a while as the heads were off the engine and the 4 Polyglass tires were flat. The passenger side rear mount bracket of the scoop was broken in an accident prior to me finding the car. Passenger lower quarter patch was done and someone put screws through the rear of scoop and into the quarter in the same manner as the front of the scoop.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 10:32:41 PM »
The back side does not look like a factory part.Others may think differently. The good news is that as long as it looks like a factory part on the front side that you can see ,the backside that you can't see when mounted is irrelevant .

Online 69GT350H

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 10:55:49 PM »
Sometime, either when Hertz still had it, or after till around the early 1970's, the car was in 3 accidents as replaced panels had been damaged and re-repaired. The PO did tell me it was in one accident when he owned it. It seems at one time someone painted the back of the scoops the car color. You can see where I have sanded away the rough surface that it is smooth white underneath.

Offline VikingNJ

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 12:51:35 PM »
GT350H, The scoops you have shown have the exact same mounting style as mine (june 12 build 70GT350 FB).

Offline specialed

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2017, 08:46:34 AM »
I don't recall ever seeing a s9ms eng # on the  factory side scoops like most of the other unique Shelby parts.