Author Topic: Scott Drake or Other Wire Harness Vendors  (Read 1383 times)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
Scott Drake or Other Wire Harness Vendors
« on: November 29, 2017, 11:08:14 PM »
I'm bouncing around on the restoration so I don't have to watch paint dry.
I have a box called wiring harnesses and clean up/rebuild the harnesses between other jobs.

However, I'm going to need a few harnesses and wonder about the state of the art on the following concours level harnesses for the 67 GT350. I suspect Drake has good stuff, but would like your thoughts:

* Engine temp, O/P, coil harness
* Backup Light harness (with switch)
* Door light harness (L/R)
* Rear Taillight/Fuel harness (the weave outer cover is in terrible shape)

The rear harness would have to be modified with the Shelby light mods, but those are in fairly good shape.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 01:42:56 PM by Bossbill »
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: Scott Drake or Other Wire Harness
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 07:34:10 AM »
I'm not sure Scott Drake manufactures much wiring; perhaps you're thinking of Alloy Metal Products? 
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
Re: Scott Drake or Other Wire Harness Vendors
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 01:42:39 PM »
The website http://www.drakeautomotivegroup.com lists many, many harnesses.

In the past, Scott Drake was known for high quality parts. Parts made in house to high standards. After reading a few threads it appears they are now owned by some other company. According to this review:
https://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-drake-door-courtesy-light-and-speaker-wire-harness-1967-1968/p/WDP8/
their door lights rate a 1 out of 5 as they don't fit !

There are few reviews for any of the AMP harnesses, that I could find.

I'll take any reviews by any vendor!

Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 02:11:55 PM »
Having seen 1000+ harnesses, I can easily tell an aftermarket harness from an OEM at a glance.  Connector styles, wire color shading, and very clean harness tape are easily identified as being reproduction.  If you are looking for concours correct, you'd be better off finding a NOS or excellent used OEM version. 

Otherwise, I would recommend AMP, as they are good quality and are used throughout the vintage Mustang world.  I've heard reports of a couple of wrong wire colors for parking lamps, for example, IIRC.  If I have to replace a harness and no used ones in stock, I don't hesitate to use AMP.  My clientele, however, are rarely interested in absolutely concours correctness. 

I always recommend the engine gauge feed and alternator harnesses to be reproduction, as quality used versions are almost impossible to find.  I reject any of these harnesses that require splices that are visible, and most times they do require that.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline 196667Bob

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 06:23:08 PM »
Having seen 1000+ harnesses, I can easily tell an aftermarket harness from an OEM at a glance.  Connector styles, wire color shading, and very clean harness tape are easily identified as being reproduction.  If you are looking for concours correct, you'd be better off finding a NOS or excellent used OEM version. 

Otherwise, I would recommend AMP, as they are good quality and are used throughout the vintage Mustang world.  I've heard reports of a couple of wrong wire colors for parking lamps, for example, IIRC.  If I have to replace a harness and no used ones in stock, I don't hesitate to use AMP.  My clientele, however, are rarely interested in absolutely concours correctness. 

I always recommend the engine gauge feed and alternator harnesses to be reproduction, as quality used versions are almost impossible to find.  I reject any of these harnesses that require splices that are visible, and most times they do require that.

+1
In addition, you might also check with Class-Tech in Bend, OR. I have had several "oddball" harnesses made by them from originals, where Reproductions are not available, even from AMP, and have been very satisfied over the years.

Bob
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909