Author Topic: Need Help! Putting all new rubber seals in my Factory '65 Conv't Top Motor.  (Read 941 times)

Offline NEFaurora

Need Help!  Putting all new rubber seals in my Factory '65 Conv't Top Motor.  It is an Original Assembly line '65-'66 Convertible Top Motor.  I tested the motor before I blew it apart and it works great.  At any rate, I am in the middle of disassembling it, and the factory diagram says that there is a small rubber "O" ring rubber seal (Same exact size as the two "O" rings used in each of the side fluid ports.) - located behind the center cog shaft and surrounding ring right behind the check ball plate cover.  I would love to replace this center shaft rubber "O" ring seal, but I can't get to it and there is absolutely no dirt or rust inside the motor.  It is pretty much hospital clean..believe it or not...  So how do I proceed to get out the Center Cog and Surrounding cog ring off of the center shaft so I can put a new rubber "O" ring seal on the shaft behind the center cog???!??

I am all ears...on this one.

I figured that I'd better stop and seek further guidance before I go any further...

All help is much appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Tony K.
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline jwc66k

What documentation are you looking at? I looked in the 75 MPC and all I found was how to install, an actual breakdown is what I was looking for. I got part number, C5ZF-7650615 from the body manual, D1AZ-76533A00-A from the MPC with a reference to a service kit, C3SZ-76533A00-A. The 66 Service manual has a breakdown but no "O" rings.
Besides, it's Florida. Leave the top down.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline NEFaurora

Yes, I just looked up the same '66 Factory Diagram that you are referring to.  They call them the "Outer Rotor Chamfer" and "Inner Rotor".  Supposedly, There is a small rubber "O" ring behind the "Inner Rotor" on the shaft.  How do I take those two out???  The original diagram that I have is a reprint from somewhere.. I have no idea, but it DOES SHOW all of the other "O" rings and other rubber seals in their correct positions.  Basically, to figure this one out, I'll need to hear from someone that has previously taken out their "Outer Rotor Chamfer" and "Inner Rotor" during a previous re-build of an assembly line unit.....or I can take a DEAD Assembly line unit top motor that I have off of my parts shelf and go crazy on it blowing it apart and use it as a "Sacrificial Lamb".... I'm glad that I at least have a dead one to play with... but that is as a last resort.  Hopefully, Someone here will have blown one of these suckers apart before and answer here..  That '66 Diagram in the factory shop manual is too basic... It does not show any of the rubber seals...except the one for the fluid chamber!!!!!!!!!!

:o)

Thanks,

Tony K.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 09:11:25 PM by NEFaurora »
MCA#70001

Offline NEFaurora

I was going by this generic exploded view....hardly factory, but I can't seem to find anything better....  If you look at the center shaft, behind the center rotor cog, You can see the "O" ring placement... I would think the Assembly line Motor would have this as well... but I could be wrong...

Tony K.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 10:29:00 PM by NEFaurora »
MCA#70001

Offline NEFaurora

Found a good website!

Check out pics#6 and #8 !!!  The center inner rotor cog and the Outer Camfer Ring are what I need to get out to get to that little bugger "O" ring!

http://autobodystore.com/forum/showthread.php?23148-quot-Basics-of-Basics-quot-Convertible-Top-pump-motor-disassembly-and-rebuild

Tony K.
MCA#70001

Offline jwc66k

Nice write-up, it seems to have the details required to do a rebuild.
It also reinforces my preference for Fastbacks, no top pumps used.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline NEFaurora

Success!!!  :o)

I found a sure fire method to remove the Outer Camfer and the Inner Cog all as one unit to get to the Inner Shaft and Center "O" ring to be able to replace it.  Check it out Below..!! I used the most powerful Shop Rare Earth Magnet that I had on hand in the garage...It worked like a charm!  All my other previous attempts failed and were delicately tried with no success until I came up with this method.  Keep in mind that if you are rebuilding a Power Top Motor and replacing seals as I did here, If there is rust inside the cavity....You won't get the center out no matter what...but if its relatively clean and rust free, You have a good shot at it as I did here.. See both pics below, and the tool that I used..!!  This should help quite a few people here who attempt to try to replace the Power Top Pump inner shaft seal in the future. If you look at the first pic, You can plainly see the inner shaft seal that requires replacement....every 50 or so years!

Tony K.
MCA#70001

Offline 67gta289

Looks good.

Did you bust out singing "I just want to celebrate" when you were done? 
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline NEFaurora

Yes... Something like that....

I was pretty Psyched...!!

There's like no documentation anywhere in books or on the web on how to get the Outer Camfer and Inner Cog out...  I tried using small picks, probes, dental tools and turning the motor upside down and even shaking it to no avail... In the end, It was a really strong magnet that did the trick!!

Tony K.
MCA#70001

Offline jwc66k

There's like no documentation anywhere in books or on the web on how to get the Outer Camfer and Inner Cog out...  I tried using small picks, probes, dental tools and turning the motor upside down and even shaking it to no avail... In the end, It was a really strong magnet that did the trick!!
Some tasks are not meant for mortal man (watch out for lightning).
Jim