Author Topic: Fan Shroud Question  (Read 2536 times)

Offline Tiny

Fan Shroud Question
« on: December 01, 2017, 04:01:47 AM »
I have a 66 GT Coupe Auto.  (Nil A/C) Did this model coupe have a Radiator Fan Shroud fitted as original from the factory?  If so, did it also have the warning sticker.  Appreciate some pictures if possible showing the correct labels etc.

Cheers
67 San Jose Built GTA 390 Coupe
C6, PS, A/C

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Fan Shroud Question
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 09:08:12 AM »
only 'K' codes & a/c cars received a shroud. no sticker ever installed.
5F09C331248

Offline sgl66

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 09:36:44 AM »
only 'K' codes & a/c cars received a shroud. no sticker ever installed.

Were there 2 different styles? The more common style I see has the top of the shroud tapered to maybe 1” (guessing) and the other style remains consistent all the way around (approx 2”)
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 01:42:57 PM »
Were there 2 different styles? - the other style remains consistent all the way around (approx 2”)
Reproduction.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Tiny

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 05:20:41 PM »
Thankyou Gentlemen
C6, PS, A/C

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 10:31:34 PM »
Were there 2 different styles? The more common style I see has the top of the shroud tapered to maybe 1” (guessing) and the other style remains consistent all the way around (approx 2”)

There was one with a wide consistent top surface but designed and used for those rarely seen desert cooler radiators.

Only seen a couple for sale over the years

Some pictures of that style can be seen in the thread below -  posted a while back

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=16692.msg104389#msg104389

This should not be taken as a suggestion that the one referred to above is not a reproduction  - just addressing the two style part of the question

The vastly more often seen and used for the standard radiator applications

Here are some pictures

« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 10:34:28 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Tiny

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 02:39:14 PM »
Whats the story with the 'Desert Cooler Radiators''? Were they used in hot locations with a larger capacity etc?  How do you identify them?

cheers
C6, PS, A/C

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 03:07:21 PM »
Whats the story with the 'Desert Cooler Radiators''? Were they used in hot locations with a larger capacity etc?  How do you identify them?

cheers

They were sold/offered as I understand to customers focusing on those areas where they would sell. As for IDing them I think the link provides how they look differently, and their markings.

There was one back a while back on Ebay - a NOS kit that included the radiator, shroud mounts and shroud as a group

The search using "desert cooler" turned up a fair number of earlier threads
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 03:10:13 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline sgl66

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 06:51:12 PM »
There was one with a wide consistent top surface but designed and used for those rarely seen desert cooler radiators.

Only seen a couple for sale over the years

Some pictures of that style can be seen in the thread below -  posted a while back

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=16692.msg104389#msg104389

This should not be taken as a suggestion that the one referred to above is not a reproduction  - just addressing the two style part of the question

Thanks Jeff, that’s the shroud. The one in question was on my car when I bought it in 1980. I can’t vouch for it being original as the radiator had been replaced by the time I got it. The original was not a desert cooler either according to the build sheet. The other style is what I’ve seen repo’d since the late 80’s. As previously mentioned, I have occasionally seen others but not common and no idea if they were original equipment
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline OrlBob

1966 Fan Shroud
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2022, 08:54:34 PM »
I once heard that only AC cars had a fan shroud. But I'm not sure this is correct. Did all '66 Mustangs have them? My car is a non-AC, non-PS car. Would like to know what is actually correct.
Bob Egleston

1966 Mustang GT Coupe
6T07A192XXX
Body Buck Date: January 24, 1966
Metuchen Assembly Plant

Offline jwc66k

Re: 1966 Fan Shroud
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2022, 12:25:59 AM »
The fan shroud was used on all 64-66 Mustangs with the 289 HP engines ("K" codes) as well as those with A/C.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1966 Fan Shroud
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2022, 06:03:08 PM »
And 6 cylinders

One example of a C code with AC in the unrestored picture thread.

Will merge this post with an earlier one on the same subject from 2017
Jeff Speegle

Offline 21.04

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2023, 10:50:02 PM »
I've removed an a/c and condenser from my hi-po and am trying to re-assemble the radiator, and fan shroud and brackets how it should go.  My car is a July 1, '66 SJ projected build.  Conv body style with manual trans.  Anyone have a photo of a shroud, bracket and hardware they can post?  I do have some fairly nice standard OEM rad bolts  and U nuts but not sure if these were used with cars with shrouds or if a separate bolt and nut was used?  Also, I'm interested to learn whether the shroud bracket is tucked between the rad and the rad support or if it is placed on top of the rad?  Would appreciate any photos or description.
66 K code Conv GT red/red deluxe 4 spd
66 A code Conv Non-GT black/red deluxe 3 spd
66 Sprint Conv Unrestored Green/blk std 3 spd

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2023, 12:21:06 AM »
Try the search feature located on the top row of every page. I found several posts with pictures that may answer your questions.
Jim

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2023, 01:45:22 AM »
..................Anyone have a photo of a shroud, bracket and hardware they can post?  I do have some fairly nice standard OEM rad bolts  and U nuts but not sure if these were used with cars with shrouds or if a separate bolt and nut was used?  Also, I'm interested to learn whether the shroud bracket is tucked between the rad and the rad support or if it is placed on top of the rad?  Would appreciate any photos or description.

Bracket gets in the way of a good picture once installed from many angles but lucky for us (and not really the car owner) this one was twisted a bit allowing us to see the mounting hardware and other details. Two bolts and two J clips. J clips installed in the brackets.

Hope this helps

Did find one picture in the unrestored picture section that showed them also.

Example was a 65 San Jose example I found first while looking.

And a mid year or so 66 San Jose example

« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 01:52:56 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle