Author Topic: Six cylinder factory single exhaust question  (Read 545 times)

Offline dsielke

Six cylinder factory single exhaust question
« on: January 17, 2023, 07:12:00 PM »
All of the exhaust kits I see available there are two pieces from the manifold to the muffler. In images I have seen posted the factory installed the exhaust as one piece from the exhaust to the muffler. Was this in fact two sections welded together or originally made from one pipe? I do understand the tail pipe was
Welded to the muffler but the intermediate pipe clamped but I am confused for the intermediate pipe.
6R09A138419: 1966 GT Fastback, Springtime Yellow
6R08T138429: 1966 Convertible, Tahoe Turquoise

Offline jwc66k

Re: Six cylinder factory single exhaust question
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2023, 07:48:49 PM »
Look in the "Library" section of this forum for the "Official 66 Mustang Article List" and topic "1965-72 Ford Master Parts Catalog" (it's real name is "Ford Car Parts") and select "08-1965Text-Suspension.pdf", this section has the exhaust system included - then go to section 52.66 page 22 for a diagram and "explanation".
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2023, 08:21:20 PM »
Understand that we want to help members learn about the features and location of information here on the site so that they can help themselves and possibly find the answer on their own or at least start their research. Thought this might be a good time to mention a few things and voice some possible concerns about this specific question.

One concern about applying what you see in the later versions of the MPC is that by that time many parts have been replaced by other service parts so read the text also and the note. When installing and designing service parts consideration sometimes needed to be reflected in the part design since those were going to be installed differently that they were originally on the assemble line with different parts not installed yet. In this case the rearend

Looking at your specific question by 70 the assemble was a two piece assemble and the rear - muffler plus had already been replaced with a service part  in that particular copy of the  MPC  Note also states that the muffler is included (welded) to the muffler) so that the whole system is identified as two piece

Also note that the inlet pipe is different depending on if the car was a Thermactor or non-Thermactor car

Scans from a couple of pages to illustrate the information mentioned above

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline dsielke

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2023, 08:59:22 PM »
Look in the "Library" section of this forum for the "Official 66 Mustang Article List" and topic "1965-72 Ford Master Parts Catalog" (it's real name is "Ford Car Parts") and select "08-1965Text-Suspension.pdf", this section has the exhaust system included - then go to section 52.66 page 22 for a diagram and "explanation".
Jim

I had looked at that and wasn?t clear if it was made from one pipe or welded two pieces. The top is service replacement parts, the bottom is vague. Why I asked.

Offline dsielke

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2023, 09:07:02 PM »
What I am trying to decide is whether to have my muffler shop created a new one piece pipe from manifold to muffler or leave what I currently have which is the two pieces welded together. This weld happens to be at the convertible reinforcement pan btw. Finding nos or correct originals like those more readily available for a v8 for my little 6 cylinder convertible is very difficult sadly.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2023, 12:20:58 AM »
What I am trying to decide is whether to have my muffler shop created a new one piece pipe from manifold to muffler or leave what I currently have which is the two pieces welded together. This weld happens to be at the convertible reinforcement pan btw. Finding nos or correct originals like those more readily available for a v8 for my little 6 cylinder convertible is very difficult sadly.

Not sure why originally they would have made a two piece tube. Here is what should be the C5 intermediate pipe showing that area where you state yours has two tubes joined. Looks like this one is a single piece. Yours, like others may have been repaired at some point and it was easier/cheaper to just replace the damaged section

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)