Author Topic: 67-68 Owner cards  (Read 2360 times)

Online ruppstang

67-68 Owner cards
« on: December 03, 2017, 10:36:01 AM »
I found a 68 Shelby with this strange door tag and I was told that the bottom half was intended to be snapped off and attached to the owners card. Does anyone know anything about this?
I only have two 67 owner cards and they have a plastic cards. The first has a staple where it was attached to the owners manual the second was paper clipped to the manual.
 Did the metal tags appear in 68 or were different methods used in different assembly plants.
I would like to see owner cards from different years and plants. 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 10:17:30 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Owner cards
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 03:13:37 PM »
Did the metal tags appear in 68 or were different methods used in different assembly plants.

No earlier and believe it was a standard plate/blank supplied by Ford to all plants. Example below would have come from the bottom half of the door tag after it was stamped, used for the temporary owners card or simply (in early years) just glued to the inside cover of the owners manual. As we know the upper half (silk screened portion) was attached to the drivers door.

For an example like this normally a strip of owner info was placed where only adhesive remains in the picture made with Dyno Tape a popular label making tool of the period. Discussed in another thread

The application/use of the metal tags started in 65-66  will have to see how early I can find.  As mentioned and I think shown in at least one other thread those were attached to or placed in an envelope in the front cover of the owners manual. The permanent owners card came later and its believed they (the permanent or in later years the temp one also) to the clip in the glove box

Guess your looking for the temporary owners card (with the metal portion)  not the others which were all plastic
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 05:18:12 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 04:30:42 PM »
My 66 K has the original owner's information on the inside cover of the owners manual. If I remember correctly, a car sold from dealer inventory had the warrantee card either without a name, or the card was sent to the owner with owner info by Ford after the sale was made and the name was know. An "ordered" car had the owner's card with the car because it usually had a deposit made.
Hey, it's been 50 plus years.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 05:09:21 PM »
Thought I would stay with the 67 - 68 focus if not we're going to end up with a ton of all different years and methods dealers used. With just that focus to start here are some examples of both the temporary and the permanent owners card. There is a thread that shows the machine and the TSB article text about how the permanent owners cars are made and how they were provided to the owners for warranty purposes.

Included on Cougar just because I had both the temp and permanent examples

8F91W5383xx

Temporary Examples

7T03C22xx

8T03C1434xx

8R01C1172xx

Permanent Examples

8R01C1435xx

8R02J1618xx

Just ones I had handy. Hope this helps
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 06:01:10 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 05:23:28 PM »
"Hanging" lower sections appear to be most common on 68 NJ cars - go figure  ::)
Jeff Speegle

Offline 427Fastback

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 08:48:25 PM »
I have five of them.Four from cars I have scrapped and one from my Uncles Shelby that he bought new.I checked with SAAC 10 years ago and the car has never surfaced..The other two cars are full size Fords.
I just collect them because..same goes for build sheets.

Online ruppstang

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 10:25:02 PM »
Thanks for all of the information. It certainly does look like the door tag I posted has the temporary tag portion left on it.

I see that Kevin Marti offers Owner cards for $40. Has anyone bought one of them? Surely they do not have the original owners information on them, do they?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 03:37:41 AM »
I found a 68 Shelby with this strange door tag and I was told that the bottom half was intended to be snapped off and attached to the owners card. Does anyone know anything about this?
I only have two 67 owner cards and they have a plastic cards. The first has a staple where it was attached to the owners manual the second was paper clipped to the manual.
I don't know for sure but have always thought that the cars with the large tag (which still has the temporary tag attached) was more a early 68 Shelby phenomenon  .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Online ruppstang

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 08:55:44 AM »
I don't know for sure but have always thought that the cars with the large tag (which still has the temporary tag attached) was more a early 68 Shelby phenomenon  .

Was there something done differently regarding the owner warrantee cards on Shelby's early or late?

My 68 GT350 was built four days after this car and our door tag has the rounded top corners, the Shelby number after the VIN and the special performance note. All missing on this car's tag.
Another mystery is the owner of this GT500 tells me that his Marti report says that this car is Shelby #055. That seems hard to believe since ours was built four days later and is Shelby # 602. 
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 08:59:44 AM by ruppstang »

Offline specialed

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 10:21:22 AM »
The plastic cards were mailed to new owner later after the sale.