Author Topic: 67 Horn Dates  (Read 463 times)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
67 Horn Dates
« on: June 21, 2018, 08:50:51 PM »
While the 67 A/C horns were being discussed I was cleaning up my horns. Odd.

I've not seen 67 horn dates and other features discussed, so here is what my 'mostly' unmolested SJ car has (prior to restoration). The following may relate to only SJ cars.

My 'HI' horn, while sitting flat on its horn bell and looking at the scroll, has the mounting bracket at 11:00. The scroll is counter-clockwise.
It has a double bend in the bracket with a locating finger in the middle of the bracket above the hole.
It has a raised 'HI' and the raised number '7' above it. You can read the 'HI' and '7' while the horn is sitting on its bell.
There is a date stamp and it very close to the end of the bell near the flange and within 1/2" of the 'HI'.
The stamped date is listed as 7A30C, appropriate for a Mar 2 car. This date is stamped in upside down to the 'HI'. The 'C' may well be a plant or vendor code.

My 'LO' horn, while sitting flat on its horn bell and looking at the scroll, has the mounting bracket at 1:00. The scroll is clockwise.
It has a double bend in the bracket with a locating finger in the middle of the bracket above the hole.
It has a raised 'LO' and the raised number '5' above it. You can read the 'LO' and '5'while the horn is sitting on its bell.
There is a date stamp and it very close to the end of the bell near the flange and is close to the 'LO'. This date happens to be further from the flange than the other horn.
The stamped date is listed as 7B16F, appropriate for a Mar 2 car. This date is stamped in upside down to the 'LO'. The 'F' may well be a plant or vendor code.

I thought that originally the raised '5' might denote a year, but that appears to not be true.

The stamped '7' is very light and required a loupe to see on a fine glass media blasted horn.
There is no sign of a yellow date stamp inside the bell.

Your mileage may vary...

[on edit add a few more 'raised' and 'stamped' notations  to be clearer]

« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 05:17:33 PM by Bossbill »
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 67 Horn Dates
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 02:56:21 PM »
The numbers you found cast in the cases are likely mold numbers for identification purposes
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)