Author Topic: 1967 Brake Indicator Light on Dash  (Read 6865 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: 1967 Brake Indicator Light on Dash
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2018, 06:31:27 PM »
I checked two and in both cases, the subject spade terminal was isolated in every key position except crank.

At crank, there was no electrical connection to any other terminal.

However, there WAS a connection to the housing itself, which would be grounded when installed.

Since the sensor has a single wire, when brake fluid level is low, and the spool shifts fore or aft, it grounds the circuit.

This all makes perfect sense to me.  Anyone else?

As for the wiring diagrams, I have the full (2" thick) 11x17 wiring diagrams for all Ford vehicles, including large trucks.  There is no brake level indicator circuit to be found.  If someone has it, I would like a copy!

DING DING, we have a winner! I knew this one all along when it was brought up about 6 weeks ago in another thread but did not wish to go prove it out. Think about it...It CANNOT GO TO POWER because if there IS a brake failure, the switch at the distribution block would cause a short circuit.

Thanks John for putting this to rest for those who were not sure. YES, there SHOULD be a prove-out lamp of the brake lamp, it requires a properly grounded and GOOD ignition switch.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2018, 11:25:15 PM »
Yes that makes sense how it should work. I wonder if that contact in the ignition switch could wear and not make contact. It does not seem to work in any of our cars. One 67 has the low fuel light and it has a prove out that works on it.
The prove circuit for the low fuel lamp is not powered by the ignition switch, but the lead that runs from the starter solenoid  to the male red wire that exits the firewall.

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2018, 06:26:13 AM »
The prove circuit for the low fuel lamp is not powered by the ignition switch, but the lead that runs from the starter solenoid  to the male red wire that exits the firewall.
Correct - but the topic here is the "brake" lamp on the instrument cluster that indicates a low brake fluid level.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2018, 08:34:16 AM »
IN SUMMARY:

Randy, I think the circuit you are pondering was called a "PROVE" circuit... CORRECT
Update:
I got the repro ignition switch and transferred the tumbler guts over to it.  I thoroughly rung the ignition switch out and DID NOT get the external spade lug to register any voltage or continuity to any of the other 3 contacts.   CORRECT
Yes that makes sense how it should work. I wonder if that contact in the ignition switch could wear and not make contact. It does not seem to work in any of our cars. One 67 has the low fuel light and it has a prove out that works on it.  Partially CORRECT. The low fuel prove out is 100% seperate, connects to the solenoid as eight barrel points out
The prove circuit for the low fuel lamp is not powered by the ignition switch, but the lead that runs from the starter solenoid  to the male red wire that exits the firewall.  CORRECT
Correct - but the topic here is the "brake" lamp on the instrument cluster that indicates a low brake fluid level. CORRECT, but mentioned earlier and may, by mentioning again, cause some confusion

I checked two and in both cases, the subject spade terminal was isolated in every key position except crank. CORRECT

At crank, there was no electrical connection to any other terminal.   CORRECT

However, there WAS a connection to the housing itself, which would be grounded when installed.   CORRECT  DING-DING-DING!!!!

Since the sensor has a single wire, when brake fluid level is low, and the spool shifts fore or aft, it grounds the circuit.   CORRECT

This all makes perfect sense to me.  Anyone else?   CORRECT, all along...was waiting for another to prove it out ;)

As for the wiring diagrams, I have the full (2" thick) 11x17 wiring diagrams for all Ford vehicles, including large trucks.  There is no brake level indicator circuit to be found.... CORRECT. I understand some foreign countries required this to be added onto Export examples before allowing them
DING DING, we have a (another) winner! I knew this one all along when it was brought up about 6 weeks ago in another thread but did not wish to go prove it out. Think about it...It CANNOT GO TO POWER because if there IS a brake failure, the switch at the distribution block would cause a short circuit.

FWIW, I just tested out my USA made Repro Switch and it functions as John (67gta289) described, the spade connector grounds out to the case when turned to "start" position. I could check my other USED switches too, but believe it to be a mute point at this time.

Bottom line, YES...It IS A PROVE-OUT circuit for the BRAKE failure warning lamp and also, it is not to be confused/combined in function with any other "lamp test" on the vehicle (including the "low fuel" lamp/prove-out test).
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 08:46:36 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline jpwatkins9

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2018, 01:19:26 PM »
John,  exactly, when in the crank position, the spade lug is grounded through the body of the ignition switch grounding the lights on the instrument panel as a light test.  For the dual brake proportional valve, the wire to that should have 12 volts on it through the warning light bulb.  When something goes bad on one of the brake systems, the shuttle moves and grounds that side of the brake warning warning light and the light turns on.  Easy to check with a voltmeter or just a wire.  Ground the wire going to the switch and the light should turn on.