Author Topic: Correct rear shackles for 1968 dual exhaust car?  (Read 3928 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Correct rear shackles for 1968 dual exhaust car?
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2017, 06:30:08 PM »
I have never seen staggered shakles on any 68s ...................

That would be best answered by 68 Shelby owners. Calling 68 Shelby owners.

Well you've got a great start. Three of them already have offered their experience.

Know this subject/issue came up  a few years back when Tim Marti and I were judging and the no special shackle was the conclusion.

I looked through my pictures when the OP first posted and could not find an example of the special shackle like we see in other years.  Don't know why engineers changed things - just that it appears that they did
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2017, 06:45:00 PM »
Well you've got a great start. Three of them already have offered their experience.

Know this subject/issue came up  a few years back when Tim Marti and I were judging and the no special shackle was the conclusion.

I looked through my pictures when the OP first posted and could not find an example of the special shackle like we see in other years.  Don't know why engineers changed things - just that it appears that they did
It's time for some Mustang parts supplies to correct their catalogs, maybe.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2017, 08:10:52 PM »
I'm happy. Less work for me and I learned some new stuff. Do these look ok?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/-/222396277112?
I think you can do better. The pictures are bad at the least but what surface is visible looks bumpy like it had been very rusty prior to blasting.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2017, 11:08:53 PM »

Who's Tim Marti?   :) ;)
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2017, 11:17:59 PM »
I don't have a tumbler big enough, in fact not many do.

That would be best answered by 68 Shelby owners.

Check the 'Services Offered' section... there's a guy in Apex, NC that offers tumbling services  :)

My '68 Shelby didn't have the staggered shackle, but I wouldn't focus on Shelby cars only as it was a dual exhaust detail that would have been done at the Ford assembly plant. 

Tim has been into more '68 cars than most, if not all, of us, so his opinion, along with everyone else's is sound enough proof for me.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline ramblewood390GT

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2017, 11:18:48 PM »
Great photos - the ebay ones I posted are definitely a different shape. So the search continues.

Offline specialed

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2017, 02:23:23 AM »
most shackles interchange but u have to watch as 2 different hole diameters in the rubber bushings depending on the shaft diameter & year model & also fairlane torino cougar can be different from mustang .

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2017, 08:05:43 AM »

Don't know why engineers changed things - just that it appears that they did
[/quote]

It is just a guess but the early 67 dual tips did not have the indents to provide shackle clearance. May after that change they it unnecessary to use the staggered shackle.

Marty not Marti, I am the lesser known one.  :D
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 08:09:38 AM by ruppstang »

Offline specialed

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2017, 10:17:35 AM »
Yes the indented chrome tip that came later is why I always thought there was no more need for the staggered shackle so the LH bottom stud & nut had more clearance.  The RH shackle can go both ways so no clearance problems but LH shackle can only be installed one way due to the the gas tank offset to the LH side of the car making for a small clearance area between frame rail & tank.

Offline A12pilot

• My cars and blog
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2017, 08:45:40 AM »
I'm redoing the suspension on my 68 S-Code GT, December build as we speak. No staggered shackles on my car... both are identical. I started to panic thinking i needed them after reading this thread then luckily further down, my fears were dashed!  ;D ;D

Cheers
Dave
Dave
-1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee -MCACN Gold 2017
-1968 Mustang S-Code GT Fastback
 (8F02S)..390-4spd, deluxe interior, both consoles,  convenience group,  reflective group, 8000 rpm tach,  AM 8-Track, fold down seat,  tinted glass,  all paperwork/ numbers matching, built late December

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2017, 04:07:40 PM »
For the record I have never seen anything but the normal shackles on a 1968 Shelby, all of which were dual exhaust.

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2018, 10:01:13 PM »
In conclusion, were the 67 shackles phosphate/oil like jwc66k shows or natural/tumbled like CharlesTurner says?
I'm not sure mine are pretty enough to be laid bare for all to see ...
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2018, 10:21:35 PM »
Jim, I've seen the bars as natural steel, I blast/tumble them to get the correct appearance (so long as they aren't heavily pitted).  The shafts are usually phosphate or just a darkened heat-treated.  There may be variances based on assembly plant or year, but this has been pretty consistent with originals I've found.  I know the repro's come the way you've described, but they don't match originals (at least what I've seen).
I can confirm your suspicion Charles. Both shackles are the same on my November built Shelby. I did wind up finding a set off of a dual exhaust car with the special shackle. I always understood that 1967 dual exhaust cars didn't have the one special shackle?
                                                                                                                     -Keith

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2018, 12:01:11 AM »
In conclusion, were the 67 shackles phosphate/oil like jwc66k shows or natural/tumbled like CharlesTurner says?
I'm not sure mine are pretty enough to be laid bare for all to see ...
The shackles are natural/tumbled . The NOS service shackles are also bare steel. I might have some nice ones if can't find any. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2018, 12:06:52 AM »
I can confirm your suspicion Charles. Both shackles are the same on my November built Shelby. I did wind up finding a set off of a dual exhaust car with the special shackle. I always understood that 1967 dual exhaust cars didn't have the one special shackle?
                                                                                                                     -Keith
Kieth,67 dual exhaust cars have the special shackle but it was eliminated for 68 . I have lost count of all of the early and late 67 original examples I have observed with the special shackle. For additional evidence the special shackle is shown in the 67 assembly manuals as well.