Author Topic: 1970 Mach 1 original seats in excellent condition but faded - what to do?  (Read 1034 times)

Offline my68gt

New member here.

About a year ago I purchased a very restoreable 1970 CJ Mach 1 that has been parked since 1978. It is a Q code with 4 speed and is Raven Black and has a vermilion interior (seats are vermilion with black accent stripe) carpet is black with vermilion door panels trimmed with black carpet, vermilion headliner and sail panels.  My question concerns the seats (both front and rear), they have no rips and are extremely pliable and in excellent condition, however they have faded some especially along the headrest  area.  I want to keep the car as original as possible.  It was suggested to me to dye the seats to take care of the faded area.  I have never used dye before. Any suggestions on how to do this?  Any suggestions on dye brands to use? Is dye durable? Is this rubbed on or sprayed on??  This seems like the route I want to go so as to preserve the originality of the car. 

Any suggestions highly appreciated.
1967 Shelby GT350
1968 GT FB 390 4 speed
1970 CJ Mach 1 4 speed

Offline tobkob

SEMS spray vinyl dye seems to be a good choice.

TOB
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970. Only owner since Hertz.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
The most important thing is getting the twice as clean as think you car.

SEMS use to offer (may still) an promoter as a prep between the vinyl and spray. Might check that out
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
 The color might hold up at a head rest or a back portion but a seat portion will wear the paint/dye off if used much. Spray dyeing the seats is a stop gap measure. It will look good for a while anyway. Don't wear any light colored pants. The best solution is the most expensive which is to re upholster the seats.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline my68gt

Thanks so much guys, I think I will try the SEMS dye to see how that works and try to keep the original seat upholstery as long as possible. If it becomes a problem I will reupholster. Depending upon how close the match is I should be able to use it in the "non heavy use" areas (ie seat backs, sides, etc.). The seat portions look pretty good.
1967 Shelby GT350
1968 GT FB 390 4 speed
1970 CJ Mach 1 4 speed