1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1964 1/2 - 1965

Headlight extension repairs--what's best?

(1/3) > >>

MustangAndFairlane1867:
I'm making headway reassembling my '65 K code fastback (February 1965, San Jose) that's been in my garage in pieces since 1992 and it's about ready to go out for paint.  But before I take that step I need to repair the "typical" breaks in the top of the headlight extension assemblies.  If there's such a thing as a good break, that's probably how I would describe mine.  The pieces snapped apart sometime in the past, but no sections fell out or were lost.  In fact if I apply moderate pressure from the bottom of the assembly, the two pieces mesh back together perfectly and the break line nearly disappears.  I know these are made out of pot metal and welding or soldering is not an option for most of us non-pro welders, but I'm not sure where to go from here.  The correct date stamps are on both pieces and I would really like to keep them with the car, so I guess my question here is what are my options at this point?  I see that NPD sells a repair kit for $43 that includes some J.B. Weld and patch pieces, but I know nothing about the effectiveness or longevity of such a repair.  I'd really like to hear from members who have solved this problem so I can get it done and move on with the project.  Thanks, Ron!

sgl66:
Easiest fix is to drill a hole through the extension and headlight bucket in fender and run a hex head self tapping sheet metal screw through. Nobody will ever see it. Just be sure to not go too long. I know a restoration shop that does this also. I have never tried JB Weld but have read that it can eventually break apart and you’re right back to where you started.

MustangAndFairlane1867:
Any chance of getting the name and or number of the restoration shop that has experience with this?  I'd like to give them a call.  Thanks, Ron

jwc66k:

--- Quote from: sglbbs on January 04, 2018, 11:58:14 PM ---I have never tried JB Weld but have read that it can eventually break apart and you’re right back to where you started.

--- End quote ---
I have a JB weld repaired extension on a 66 for almost 10 years with no apparent problems. Following instructions usually works.
JIm

MustangAndFairlane1867:
Jim:  Did you use the kit from NPD?  Ron...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version