Author Topic: Questions Regarding Static collectors  (Read 2664 times)

Offline 65Ford

Questions Regarding Static collectors
« on: January 05, 2018, 12:36:30 AM »
Attached is the only one in my years yarding I have ever found (and it's damaged) and I don't even remember what Ford I found it on.  It resides in the dust cap and the button in the center rides on the end of the spindle.  The only reason I look for these is my parent's 1965 Ranch Wagon has them but one was destroyed when a bearing burned up and melted onto the spindle.  It still has the one on the driver's side because my dad always did the brake or bearing work and knew how to bend the cotter pin so it doesn't get torn up.

My question is, did the 1965 Mustang have these and how many model years did Ford install these in their cars?
63A  R  28  02K  51  1  5
5R09A142

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Questions Regarding Static collectors
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 01:05:02 AM »
Attached is the only one in my years yarding I have ever found (and it's damaged) and I don't even remember what Ford I found it on.  It resides in the dust cap and the button in the center rides on the end of the spindle.  The only reason I look for these is my parent's 1965 Ranch Wagon has them but one was destroyed when a bearing burned up and melted onto the spindle.  It still has the one on the driver's side because my dad always did the brake or bearing work and knew how to bend the cotter pin so it doesn't get torn up.

My question is, did the 1965 Mustang have these and how many model years did Ford install these in their cars?
I have only found a few still under the grease caps. I have found one on a 65 and a 66 out of many that were missing . I assume they came on the later models  67-70 but I personally have not found any first hand. They also came in the Mustang radio kits that Ford sold over the counter which also supports their use on factory installed radio cars.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 09:02:23 AM »
I have found a few on 67s and 68s. If I remember correctly they are shown in the assembly manual with the hood ground. I think they were called anti static devices and came with the radio option.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 10:23:43 AM »
I've seen them on 65-66.  The 6 cylinder version was slightly different as the grease cap was not the same as V8.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 03:23:07 PM »
From 5F07F1609xx

Back/under side of the clip

C8ZZ Radio Kit

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 196667Bob

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 04:32:07 PM »

I believe that I can provide a little insight/ history on the Wheel Static Collector Springs (Ford's "official" name for these parts.

About 10 years ago, I did a little research (by no means real "in depth", but just enough to "be dangerous") on these as they were supposed to be on both my 1957 Retractable and 1957 Thunderbird. My Ford Literature collection is very thin prior to 1955, although I do have Product Service Letters, Management Service Letters and Radio Service letters dating back to their beginnings. I found in Radio Service Letter R-1, Dated July 26, 1950 (a copy of which is attached), reference to the Radio Suppression Kit which included the Wheel Static Collectors. As noted in the Service Letter, these were not installed at the Factory, but shipped to the Dealers in the Glove Compartment for their Installation (I wonder how many were really installed ?). The contents of the 1950 Radio Suppression Kit are shown in the next attachment, from Radio Service Letter R-2.

This got me wondering how much earlier that the collectors might have been available. In searching for this information, I somehow had the idea to check for Patents. Sure enough, the Wheel Static Collector was Patented on January 11, 1938, by two GM (boo) employees (a copy of the Patent is attached). While a little different than the one pictured in your Post, it is similar and virtually identical to the ones found on my 57's (picture attached). I checked with best friend, whom I've known for over 60 years, and is a Cadillac collector. Sure enough, his 1940 " 60 Special" had the original Static Collectors still on it. While this of course doesn't mean that Ford used them in 1940, they could have.

I then dug a little deeper into my literature and found Product Service Letter No. 242, dated April 4, 1955 (copy attached). This notes that the Wheel Static Collectors were not installed by the Factory prior to November 15, 1954 (which would imply that after that date, they were). It also notes that the Wheel Static Collectors were not available as Service Parts from Ford, but had to be obtained from either Bendix or Motorola (these are noted in the Suppression Kit shown in Radio Service Letter R-2, Dated August 25, 1950, attached).
I next went to my Technical Service Bulletins to see what might be covered. I only checked my 1956-62 TSB's, but what I found was pretty interesting. In the TSB's covering 1957 models, there are several Articles on "Radio Noise", the Suppression Kits installation and trouble shooting. Then when TSB's covering 1958 Models begins, the "suppression issues" seem to disappear (Ford must have thought that they had this item resolved). As a matter of fact, this was the case through the 1962 TSB's. As I mentioned, I didn't look at any of my TSB's after 1962, but did then check my Ford Shop Manuals. The Radio Suppression Kit components were covered in my 1957,1959, 1962, 1966, 1967 and 1971 Shop Manuals. A couple of interesting things appeared after going through the Shop Manuals. First, in 1966, in the illustrations of the components, a Group Number is shown for the Wheel Static Collector ; 18938-A. Did this mean that Ford now had a Service Part for this ? And secondly, the illustrations of the Suppression Components in the 1971 Shop Manual no longer shows the Wheel Static Collectors.

Time to check the MPC's. Neither the 1949-59, the 1960-64, nor the 1965 MPC's show this Part Number. However, the 1966, 1967, 1960-68 and the 1965-72 MPC'c all do list it. It is listed as Part Number C6AZ-18938-A in all. Interestingly though, the Applications are shown as only being for 1966-70 Full Size Fords with Disc Brakes, and for 1967 Thunderbirds. Of course the nature of the part itself, would not limit this to being used on only those Models noted. As a matter of fact, the 1966, 67 and 68 Mustang Electrical Assembly Manuals all show the Wheel Static Collectors as part of the Radio Suppression components.

In Summary, the Wheel Static Collector Springs were furnished as a part of the Radio Suppression Kit going back to at least 1950. Prior to November of 1954, they were shipped with the cars for Dealer Installation. After that Date, they wer Factory Installed until ?.Initially, other than those being shipped with a car with a radio, they were only available from Bendix or Motorola. In 1966, Ford showed a Part Number for the Wheel Static Collector Spring (C6AZ-18938-A). This is shown in the November 1965 List Price Book for $0.75 each, but jumped to $1.60 each in the November 1966 Price Book. In looking at my OSI books (1966-1979, plus 1981 and 1990, I could not find where Ford made this "Not Replaced" (Obsolete).

So, there you have it ; all I know, and probably more than you wanted to know, about the Wheel Static Collector Springs.

Hope you enjoyed the ride.

Bob
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 05:55:34 PM »
Interesting read. At least I now get the gist of what they were doing with these static collectors.

So, times have changed, car radios have changed too since the late 30's and it took over 30 years for these to no longer appear to be needed. I had trouble reading some of the text of the patent but I did not notice any reference to the tubes in tires, only the tires, the air and other "ideas" with no proof of the exact source of the static.

So, did the advent of transistors change the need? FM radio? Hmmm...tubeless tires? Obviously, we no longer need these in modern cars so I suppose more could be learned if somebody wishes to search but I am pleased that we do not have to all run out and search for a couple of these to add to EVERY car with a radio in it!
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 09:35:46 AM »
Bob, thanks for sharing your research.  I found it interesting that the 67 shop manual has a figure (picture attached) that infers these are used on Mustangs, but like you I see that in the January 1967 MPC the 18938 part is only listed for the full size Ford with Disc Brakes (picture also attached).  You mentioned full size Ford and Thunderbird but I did not see reference to the Thunderbird. ***EDIT*** I found the Thunderbird reference in the 65-72 MPC.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 196667Bob

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 11:21:20 AM »
John : The Thunderbird reference I mentioned actually came from the 1960-68 MPC, but you are correct that it is also listed in the 1965-72 MPC.

The Shop Manual References that I referred to, and which you attached an illustration from are one source noting that the Wheel Static Collector Springs were used on Mustangs, but I think more importantly, are the references that I noted of the 1966. 67 and 68 Mustang Electrical Assembly Manuals, where they are shown for each of the years. I do not have a 1965 Mustang Electrical Assembly Manual, which might address the OP's question more directly, so if someone has this, they could possibly confirm that they do show up in the 1965 EAM also. However, my guess is if they do, they would be the "earlier" type (as shown in the first attached picture without the 3 long "tails"), as opposed to the one with the "tails" (as shown in the second picture) as it carries a C6AZ Part Number.

Bob
MCA 04909

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2018, 01:29:48 PM »
I do not have a 1965 Mustang Electrical Assembly Manual, which might address the OP's question more directly,
It's there, AM0008 pg61, 6 cylinder and 8 cylinder applications.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 196667Bob

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2018, 03:08:48 PM »
Jim : Thanks for confirming that. The OP should now feel "comfortable" that his '65 Mustang could have had the Wheel Static Collector Springs.

Now, I have one more question for your 1965 documentation. Does the page you noted that shows both "6 cylinder and 8 cylinder applications", have a detail like the one John Posted from the 1967 Shop Manual ? If so, this gets even more interesting (confusing). My 66 Shop Manual and Electrical Assembly Manual both show the 2 separate details for 6 cylinder and 8 cylinder, yet the 1967 and 68 EAM's only have "one size fits all" detail of the collector with the "tails". The 1966 6 cylinder detail, and the 1967 Shop Manual 6 cylinder detail appear to show it as the older style with no "tails", like on my 57's. Adding to the "confusion" is the fact that the only Ford Part Number for a Wheel Static Collector Spring, C6AZ-18938-A, with no differentiation of 6 cylinder versus 8 cylinder. If the 8 cylinder application for 1965 shows the collector with the "tails", this compounds the question as that carries a C6AZ Part Number. The C6AZ-18938-A does not appear in either the 1965 MPC, or the 1966 MPC. Possibly the collector with the "tails" was used before a Part Number was assigned to it ?

Thanks,

Bob
MCA 04909

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 02:07:25 PM »
Just found in my collection a few of these, and there are three distinct types.  There are two different sizes of the "three prong" version, one larger than the other.

Bob, if you could measure your C6AZ-18938-A like shown in the picture, that would be appreciated so I know which is which.

I suppose I could have both the 6 and 8 cylinder versions, accounting for different dust cap sizes.

The four prong version is different yet that the one with six prongs you showed.  I suppose this could be from any car line.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline preaction

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2018, 05:57:03 PM »
I found a set installed in my 67 Cougar. Also they are listed in the assembly manuals. My mentor who worked as a mechanic at Swenson ford in Philadelphia through the 60's and 70"s said it was common practice to through them away when doing service on a front end.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2018, 06:57:41 PM »
Interesting read. At least I now get the gist of what they were doing with these static collectors.

So, times have changed, car radios have changed too since the late 30's and it took over 30 years for these to no longer appear to be needed. I had trouble reading some of the text of the patent but I did not notice any reference to the tubes in tires, only the tires, the air and other "ideas" with no proof of the exact source of the static.

So, did the advent of transistors change the need? FM radio? Hmmm...tubeless tires?
Obviously, we no longer need these in modern cars so I suppose more could be learned if somebody wishes to search but I am pleased that we do not have to all run out and search for a couple of these to add to EVERY car with a radio in it!
It was mainly phasing out of AM popularity IMO but I wouldn't put it past all of the above as being contributing factors .  AM radio is what was effected most by electrical static . With the phasing out of AM popularity there was no need for the extremes in suppression.FM was not effected in the same way. I can remember taking them out of my first car in 1970 (69 Mach) changing rotors and forgot to put them back They made no difference in AM radio reception as far as I could tell . I realized I left them out some weeks later . When I asked what they for I thought the Ford tech was lying because I didn't notice any difference in reception . We only listen to AM  stations back then. I thought it was a joke to reinstall so I didn't.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 196667Bob

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2018, 01:32:30 PM »
Just found in my collection a few of these, and there are three distinct types.  There are two different sizes of the "three prong" version, one larger than the other.

Bob, if you could measure your C6AZ-18938-A like shown in the picture, that would be appreciated so I know which is which.

I suppose I could have both the 6 and 8 cylinder versions, accounting for different dust cap sizes.

The four prong version is different yet that the one with six prongs you showed.  I suppose this could be from any car line.

John : Here we go (although this is likely to provide more questions than answers) :

The first two pictures are of my C6AZ-18938-A collector. Note that the spread of the 3 equidistantly spaced legs is about 2-1/8". The third picture is of this same collector installed in a B5A grease cap. While the envelope for this collector was opened, after talking with the person I purchased this one from (his last one), he noted that he had had several others, in the same envelopes, and all were identical ; a pretty good indication that these were original Service Parts.

The next two pictures are representative of several ones that I have picked up from two different sources ; first, I purchased several from a radio Repair man, who dealt mainly with Ford radios, and said that all came from several different Ford Radio Suppression Kits. Secondly, I had picked up a "C7AZ Radio Installation Kit" (similar to that shown in Jeff's Reply # 4 that shows a C8ZZ radio Kit. The C7AZ Kit that I have is shown in the next picture and included all of the parts shown (which includes a C60E Voltage Regulator Condenser, a C7AA Coil Condenser, C7 cast knobs and tone control disks, a hood bonding angle, miscellaneous hardware and 2 collectors). On all of this type collector, the spread measures 1-7/8". Note that this collector also fits fine into the B5A cap.

While both of these appear to have larger "spreads" than the ones you posted, I would guess that yours would also fit into the B5A cap, only with a little less "spring holding power". The only thing I believe that would prevent this is if the "base spring diameter" is larger than the ID of the grease cap (and I have seen several where this is the case, at least in 50's and up). It may just be an optical illusion caused by the fact that on your "top" example, you show one turned upside down from the other, but they appear to have different "base diameters". Are they in fact the same ?

As far as 6 cylinder versus 8 cylinder, I don't believe that there is really any difference to speak of in base diameters (see attached portions from 1967 and 1960-68 MPC's in regard to grease caps). The only real difference is that shown for Broncos (U). I believe that the difference between 6 cylinder and 8 cylinder collectors is in the type as depicted in your previous Post that shows the cross section from the Shop Manual. To me, it appears that the ones for 6 cylinder are of the "prong" (pointed) type, while the 8 cylinder ones are of the "3 - legged" type.

Finally, an interesting observation ; All of the older "6-prong" ones that I have seen, as well as the C6AZ one are Brass. When I purchased the several from the Radio Repair guy, only one was like the one I have shown here in pictures 4 and 5 ; bright and shiny (the 2 in my C7AZ Radio Installation Kit were both like this), and gold-ish in color ; the remainder looked like yours, dark in color.  I just assumed that these were just tarnished from age, but when they wouldn't "polish-up", I got out the magnet, and found they were steel.  The others appear to be zinc dichromate finished, explaining their darkening. Are any of your examples Brass ?

While the sample size is obviously small, it appears that the earlier "prong" (pointed) ones and the C6AZ Service Parts were Brass, and at some time (unknown), the collectors furnished with the Factory Installed Radios and Radio Installation Kits were changed to steel.

As I noted at the onset, this likely has brought more questions than answers to a relatively useless part.

Bob

MCA 04909