Author Topic: 1966 K-code Rotisserie Restoration  (Read 185 times)

Offline evantugby

1966 K-code Rotisserie Restoration
« on: January 07, 2018, 06:46:15 PM »
Concours Members,
Hello,
I am in the process of disassembling my kar to get it ready to media blast the entire undercarriage and weld in a new floor pan and respray with a nice fresh black undercoating. The goal is to replace my entire floor pan and give the entire undercarriage a fresh look. To learn and save some cash I will be doing the disassembly to get the kar ready for the rotisserie. I have removed hood, bumpers, grill, front fenders. I will eventually remove interior (again), exhaust, and finally cherry pick the engine/tranny. I have a local auto metal fabricator who will do the metal work. During this process I want to clean up all my front suspension components, brake system and rebuild the parts that are K-code specific to make everything look new again. 

Question 1: Which suspension components and brake components are K-code specific?
Question 2: Should I have my upper/lower control arms rebuilt because they are k-code specific or would you just buy new ones?
Question 3: If I should rebuild upper/lower control arms, who do you recommend?
Question 4: I will be sending off my Kelsey Hayes Proportioning valve to White Post Restorations. Should I send them my front / rear brake assemblies for rebuild too?
Question 5: What K-code specific parts would you recommend to rebuild?
Question 6: Are my leaf springs K-code specific? If not, which leaf springs should I purchase to give me the Shelby GT-350 look?
Question 7: I will have my engine repainted Ford Blue. What kind of paint? Do you have a specific color code to get the right shade of blue?

Thanks all!

Evan
Currently:  1966 Ford Mustang Fastback, K-code, Signalfire Red, Black interior, 4-speed
Formerly:  1966 Ford Mustang Coupe, A-code, Wimbledon White, Red interior, Automatic

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1966 K-code Rotisserie Restoration
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 09:12:46 PM »
Since your asking the question here on this site we can assume that your restoring the car back to original so that helps at narrowing down the focus for us all.

Question 1: Which suspension components and brake components are K-code specific?

Nothing. Not to say all suspension parts on a K code Mustang were shared with every 66 Mustang. 6 cylinder or base C code for example have many different pieces but even some of those are shared - A arms for one. You car shared many parts with Mustangs with the GT package as well as Shelbys that year

Question 2: Should I have my upper/lower control arms rebuilt because they are k-code specific or would you just buy new ones?

Rebuild your originals if they are not cracked or show heavy rust pitting. There are a number of threads that discuss tumbling the stripped down A arms, refinishing the bare metal, painting them and having the rivets installed

Question 5: What K-code specific parts would you recommend to rebuild?

Every piece that you can since reproductions are often different in look, finish and other details depending on the part

Question 6: Are my leaf springs K-code specific? If not, which leaf springs should I purchase to give me the Shelby GT-350 look?

No they were not K code specific (shared with A code GT equipped cars) but you don't have to change anything since the Shelbys used the same front and rear springs.

Question 7: I will have my engine repainted Ford Blue. What kind of paint? Do you have a specific color code to get the right shade of blue?

If you use the search feature you will find a number of threads, comments, personal experiences and suggestions.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline evantugby

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 09:56:28 PM »
Thank you sir for the advice.  FYI:  I will be keeping the kar as a Shelby GT-350 tribute.  There is no way I would paint this car back to Sauterne Gold.  :)
Currently:  1966 Ford Mustang Fastback, K-code, Signalfire Red, Black interior, 4-speed
Formerly:  1966 Ford Mustang Coupe, A-code, Wimbledon White, Red interior, Automatic

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 10:31:53 PM »
Thank you sir for the advice.  FYI:  I will be keeping the kar as a Shelby GT-350 tribute.  There is no way I would paint this car back to Sauterne Gold.  :)

Sound like it would really stand out at a show put back to factory. Out first fastback was a Sauterne Gold car with pony interior.

Was yours originally a non-GT or an automatic car?

Well building a copy is going to cost a bunch of money. Good luck with your choice. Might want to check out some of the other sites where they have allot of people doing and discussing those sorts of builds. SAAC site has had a number of guys posting as they go through their efforts. If you look through some of the unrestored 66  GT350 threads here on the site those may help also.  Just remember to pick a car or a period since there are a number of choices you will need to make.  Things like over or under rides, 65 or 66 interior, which hood to use and so on
Jeff Speegle

Offline caspian65

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 11:25:18 PM »
Regarding the floor pan, would recommend that you only replace what needs to be replaced.  Repro floor pans may not match exactly to what is in your car.

Also, consider that modifying an original K code has become kind of like modifying a Shelby.  It will likely devalue the car or limit the number of buyers later on if you decide to sell.  Sauterne Gold is actually a very nice color on a '66.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 11:32:00 PM »
Are those plates where the front bumper attaches there for a purpose or are they over a problem?  Not sure you have noticed them
Jeff Speegle

Offline evantugby

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 04:28:30 PM »
Sound like it would really stand out at a show put back to factory. Out first fastback was a Sauterne Gold car with pony interior.

Was yours originally a non-GT or an automatic car?

Well building a copy is going to cost a bunch of money. Good luck with your choice. Might want to check out some of the other sites where they have allot of people doing and discussing those sorts of builds. SAAC site has had a number of guys posting as they go through their efforts. If you look through some of the unrestored 66  GT350 threads here on the site those may help also.  Just remember to pick a car or a period since there are a number of choices you will need to make.  Things like over or under rides, 65 or 66 interior, which hood to use and so on

Hi J Speegle,
My car was born a GT, 4-speed kar.  And great feedback!  Thank you for your help.     

Offline evantugby

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 04:31:33 PM »
Regarding the floor pan, would recommend that you only replace what needs to be replaced.  Repro floor pans may not match exactly to what is in your car.

Also, consider that modifying an original K code has become kind of like modifying a Shelby.  It will likely devalue the car or limit the number of buyers later on if you decide to sell.  Sauterne Gold is actually a very nice color on a '66.

My thoughts:  Right now this kar is just for me.  I love that it's a Shelby clone because I can't afford the real thing right now.  This K-code kar that has been converted to a Shelby GT-350 is as close as I can get to the real thing. ;)

Thank you for the advice on the replacement of the floor pan.  I can tell some of it has been replaced already but there is a thick layer of black undercoating.  It looks like the type that was sprayed out of a rattle can while everything was still on the kar.  I am having it done right though. 

Offline evantugby

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 04:33:21 PM »
Are those plates where the front bumper attaches there for a purpose or are they over a problem?  Not sure you have noticed them

unknown yet.  Part of the brace bracket that held the front bumper secured in place was bolted right to these plates you referenced.  I thought they were just their to strengthen the frame and bumper.  It will be interesting to see what the media blasting reveals for the rest of the underside.