Author Topic: Alternator case restoration  (Read 783 times)

Offline lightwtjet

Alternator case restoration
« on: January 12, 2024, 10:27:23 PM »
My alternator looks dingy. I read a number of DIY restoration videos and they used a variety of case treatments- wire wheel / glass bead blasting / flat aluminum paint to renew the case. Which one works best? Pictures would help us.  Thanks
« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 09:04:31 AM by lightwtjet »
1968 CJ - Owner and paint original. Dec 67 build in Dearborn. One of 50 135 Cobra Jets. Ford engineering used it for 8 mos. to resolve problems in the 50 early car build. Ford by-passed the normal sign off to get cars to the Winternationals drag race.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Alternator case restoration
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2024, 10:33:44 PM »
You need to find a gentle l method of cleaning the case once it disassembled. Wire wheel will not restore the finish nor will most of the blasting options. Walnut hulls at low pressure would likely be best. Rattle can paint will look OK short term but will discolor and possible crack and peel at some point.

Consider some of the methods suggested for aluminum intake restoration here on this site for more ideas, like deep cleaning and brushing with a nylon brush. As often happens there is no easy button or short quick path to doing a good restoration
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2024, 09:43:24 AM »
I think vapor blasting is best option for aluminum to retain the original look.  Or, of course, you could buy a new authentic looking alternator from Dead Nuts On.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2024, 12:46:57 PM »
I think vapor blasting is best option for aluminum to retain the original look.  Or, of course, you could buy a new authentic looking alternator from Dead Nuts On.
The vapor blasting typically leaves too shiny of a finish at least on aluminum intakes compared to original. I haven't  seen that process used on a alternator case however logically it would follow that one could expect the same results . My rebuilder bead blasts them and then tumbles them in a stainless steel media. The surface of the case parts look like the NOS alternators I have had that I compared them to.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Daven

• 1969 Mustang Mach I. 9R02R107xxx
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2024, 02:42:09 PM »
I've done a few alternator cases bead blasting with fresh beads and then tumbling, the same process as Bob Gaines mentioned.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2024, 05:19:17 PM »
The vapor blasting typically leaves too shiny of a finish at least on aluminum intakes compared to original. I haven't  seen that process used on a alternator case however logically it would follow that one could expect the same results . My rebuilder bead blasts them and then tumbles them in a stainless steel media. The surface of the case parts look like the NOS alternators I have had that I compared them to.

Wonder if a light acid (wheel cleaner) cleaning would knock the shiny vapor blasting look to get closer to a correct finish/look. Don't see why it shouldn't.

That has worked for both of us in other efforts
« Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 05:23:11 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2024, 05:48:28 PM »
Wonder if a light acid (wheel cleaner) cleaning would knock the shiny vapor blasting look to get closer to a correct finish/look. Don't see why it shouldn't.

That has worked for both of us in other efforts
Good possibility. I don't have a vapor blasted part to check out if that is a viable alternative. Hopefully someone reading can give it a try. If anyone try's this I would suggest using ether the wire wheel cleaner or the one designed for cast aluminum wheels . That is the aluminum wheel cleaner that says don't use on polished aluminum wheels.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby