Author Topic: 1965/66 Mustang upper and lower control arms  (Read 3183 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1965/66 Mustang upper and lower control arms
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2018, 07:39:16 PM »
What would be a good quality aftermarket upper and lower control arm to get if one had to.  I know the Rare parts one do not look factory, but they are made in the US i thing, not sure of the Scott drake ones?

Might check out Moog at the local parts store. IMHO they have generally been quality providers and the suppliers at time for Ford
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2018, 10:40:11 PM »
Might check out Moog at the local parts store. IMHO they have generally been quality providers and the suppliers at time for Ford
Moog used to be the way to go but I am afraid that they have changed too. They will be a compromise also. You will be trading one compromise (Scott Drake )for another. Not a bolt on if you want a original look.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2018, 10:57:05 PM »
Moog used to be the way to go but I am afraid that they have changed too. They will be a compromise also. You will be trading one compromise (Scott Drake )for another. Not a bolt on if you want a original look.

Agreed - took his "good quality" as a deviation from correct and original since that had clearly been addressed
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2018, 12:31:29 AM »
Agreed - took his "good quality" as a deviation from correct and original since that had clearly been addressed
Understood. Not really any easy button for this situation. Only different levels of compromise to choose from . The ones already mentioned are the main ones.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Chris

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2018, 02:39:46 PM »
This reproduction is available online, has correct waffle style rivets. Seems if you apply correct paint and boot it would serve as a pretty close example to use.
64 1/2 Poppy Red Convertible, 260V8 auto, 19 June 64

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2018, 07:17:01 PM »
This reproduction is available online, has correct waffle style rivets. Seems if you apply correct paint and boot it would serve as a pretty close example to use.
You will have to strip the black oxide coating off which is there to act as a rust inhibitor over the bare metal with something first. It is like a gun blueing process but is too dark for a correct bare metal look.  I have used a mild acid like wire wheel cleaner when dealing with service replacement parts that had the same finish . If you don't you will be wasting your time because they will not have the correct look even after dipping up to the ball joint in black paint.

Offline evantugby

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2020, 12:02:06 AM »
You will have to strip the black oxide coating off which is there to act as a rust inhibitor over the bare metal with something first. It is like a gun blueing process but is too dark for a correct bare metal look.  I have used a mild acid like wire wheel cleaner when dealing with service replacement parts that had the same finish . If you don't you will be wasting your time because they will not have the correct look even after dipping up to the ball joint in black paint.

BoB,
What product did you use for the "mild acid like wire wheel cleaner"? 

Thank you!
1966 GT, 6T09K13, Born 23 Oct 1965

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2020, 02:55:27 PM »
BoB,
What product did you use for the "mild acid like wire wheel cleaner"? 

Thank you!
Eagle one chrome and wire wheel cleaner is what I use there are other wire wheel cleaners that use mild acid in their formula.