Author Topic: Can This Be Saved  (Read 1921 times)

Offline carguytroy

Can This Be Saved
« on: January 30, 2018, 02:56:41 PM »
Looking over the parts that came with the car to see what is salvageable and what is not. The rear quarter interior side pieces are cracked pretty bad. Is there a way to fix these?

1967 S code Convertible
Build Date 7-1967
San Jose
Vintage Burgundy

1967 C Code Convertible
Build date 7-1967
San Jose
White

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Can This Be Saved
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 04:06:04 PM »
Sure, it could be fixed with many hours of work, but will be prone to cracking up in other places.  If it was just a couple small areas, I would fix it, otherwise, I'd look for better pieces.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Smokey 15

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 09:31:49 AM »
 I agree with the previous post. If it was the only one in existence, I'd say fix it and reinforce the backside.  But, after fixing, you would have to treat it with kid gloves or, as brittle as it is, you'd be constantly repairing it.

Offline brcron007

• Always 1 more detail ! ;)
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 11:55:38 AM »
Hi, For what it's worth and an experiment that you might be impressed with.  To repair this get a couple of tubes of super glue-doesn't matter what brand even the cheap stuff and 1 box of baking soda. Since these I believe are plastic and skinned. It's worth a try. First do 1 section at a time brace the crack area so its perfectly aligned. Then super glue the crack then sprinkle the baking soda on the super glue. Then blow or brush off the excess. then do the same to the opposite side to fill any gaps. The plastic wil not break at the same location again. then sand it smooth 320 to 400 grit and move onto the next crack. I have had real good luck on all sorts of plastics using this method. Amazingly works real well. Just thought I'd mention it. Then reskin it and your done til you find better panels. At least it will get you going. Thanks, Ron
1969 Mercury Cougar XR-7 428 CJ R-code, Dearborn assembled on January 20, 1969-Marty report 3 Days ahead of schedule. Door tag says the 23rd. I have a time machine, PS, PDB, C-6 automatic-added factory AC, Tilt-Away, intermmitant wipers Have a complete 69 cougar factory electric sunroof avail.