Author Topic: 68 GT Console Pad Does Not Mesh with The Radio Face Pad  (Read 852 times)

Offline 68GTFastback

68 GT Console Pad Does Not Mesh with The Radio Face Pad
« on: February 01, 2018, 08:45:33 PM »
The lower console does not mate well with the padded face cover on the dash. The crack between the two leaves about a 3/16" gap. What are my options to makes these fit/mesh together like they should? My car is an automatic, so the shift indicator has to remain functional. THANKS   

Offline ruppstang

Re: 68 GT Console Pad Does Not Mesh with The Radio Face Pad
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 09:40:48 PM »
A picture would help.

Offline 68GTFastback

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 09:39:22 AM »
Photos attached.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 12:00:18 PM »
Looks to me like it is every man's worst fear..."shrinkage".

My original dash pad suffered the same shrinkage, I attribute it to the HOT (at hell) California sun it was in most of it's life combined with ignorance and the suggestion of my Uncle Herb of how great this Armor All is! (yeah, sure "great" for SELLING a car perhaps!) 
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 08:41:45 PM »
I would have to agree with Richard, it is do to shrinkage. There is no way to fix them once shrunk. First option find a better pad. Option two possibly add some padding under the carpet to raise the height of the console. Good luck.
Marty   

Offline ramblewood390GT

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 10:06:15 PM »
Could you shim the bottom piece from underneath? Maybe that would get you close enough that it would pass the initial eyeball test.

Offline 68GTFastback

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 10:32:58 PM »
Thank you for your comments. This is the way my detailer returned it to me. I have been trying to find a better radio face plate. I wanted suggestions before I come up with a plan. Will raising the console have any effect on the A/T shifter and/or gear selector indicator?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 11:54:42 PM »
Thank you for your comments. This is the way my detailer returned it to me. I have been trying to find a better radio face plate. I wanted suggestions before I come up with a plan. Will raising the console have any effect on the A/T shifter and/or gear selector indicator?

If it's minor it shouldn't but if you shim the top pad and trim piece from the console base too much you will produce a gab between those two surfaces

Shifter and dear indicator are independent from the console and its parts
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)