Author Topic: 67 San Jose S Code - Paint stick marks  (Read 536 times)

Offline rocnhrse

67 San Jose S Code - Paint stick marks
« on: February 05, 2018, 05:03:30 PM »
67 s code  GTA  FB April  67 San Jose, markings  on inner wheel well right  side upper  I'm  guessing  other cars would have this mark what did it exactly  mean if anything
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 05:42:54 PM by J_Speegle »
67 mustang  GTA  S code fastback  San Jose  April 67

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 67 San Jose S Code - Paint stick marks
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 05:40:19 PM »
67 s code  GTA  FB April  67 San Jose, markings  on inner wheel well right  side upper  I'm  guessing  other cars would have this mark what did it exactly  mean if anything

For others these are fairly specific to plant and year so please don't copy these to other cars or periods.

Because your car was/is a 390 car there are workers who needed a visual clue from a distance that it was so a worker applied the "S" to indicate this. This is one of three possible locations of this mark. Location depended on which of the shifts your car was build during and in turn the shift the worker assigned to applying this mark.

The "D" is a commonly found mark found on San Jose cars through out the years. Not sure what it relates to or indicates. None of the workers I've talked to used or applied it so they had nothing to offer.  It can normally be found in one of three locations depending on time period. Not related to engine, transmission, brakes  or anything else as far as options or equipment that I could find
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 05:43:01 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Paperback Writer

Re: 67 San Jose S Code - Paint stick marks
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 09:03:36 PM »
I found the same "S/D" marks on my San Jose S Code Convertible (9/22/1966 assembly date) on the back-side of my battery tray area, and on the front, left-hand side of the radiator support as well...

+1 to what Jeff said about their meaning...
1967 390 GTA Convertible
7R03S110###
76B - V - 6U - 30J - 72 - 1 - U
(Actually built on 9/22/1966 - Eight days ahead of schedule)