Author Topic: Are these Original Kelsey Hayes Disc Rotors?  (Read 1089 times)

Offline evantugby

Are these Original Kelsey Hayes Disc Rotors?
« on: February 05, 2018, 07:55:39 PM »
Gents,
My calibers, backing plates, proportioning valve are all original Kelsey Hayes.  However are my rotors original?  How can you tell either way?

Note:  Found some ink stamped numbers as well as what looks like a paint pen in red.

1966 GT, 6T09K13, Born 23 Oct 1965

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Are these Original Kelsey Hayes Disc Rotors?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 08:41:10 PM »
They're Ford replacements, not assembly line.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline evantugby

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 09:08:55 PM »
thank you.  Do original 1966 rotors still exist for sale?

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 09:11:02 PM »

Not really, more used ones than anything, but the bulk of those will be too thin.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 10:07:54 PM »
As has been said not really available . I think you need a point of reference in order of difficulty to help you decide what makes the best sense to your situation.  I have only seen one NOS assemblyline set of 66 style rotors in about 10 years or more and I get around. Probably 1000.00 a piece on the secondary market if you could even find them . A restored set of used originals (extremely hard to find but out there and expensive) is one alternative. The ones you have now in restored condition are the next best thing IMO. The 2 piece design rotor (hub and separate disc) has not been readily available in the after market for about 10 or 12 years now. The 2 piece design is the main visual that we expect to see in concours in all but the hardest class's where original tires ,battery,etc.are also expected.  The more generic two piece design like you presently have in new condition typically sell in the 500.00 a pair range more times then not now days. With this frame of reference hopefully you can decide which goal makes the best sense to you.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline evantugby

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 10:56:24 PM »
Well that does help, Bob Gaines.  I didn't realize these would be considered concours.  I think I should just keep them then.  Thank you for the insight.  Now I need to find a local shop that can spin them and restore them. 

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 10:16:15 AM »
Recent post concerning rotor restoration:  http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=17393.0

Offline evantugby

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 10:02:32 PM »
I am working on this restoration right now.  Thanks Caspian65