Author Topic: Question on options  (Read 1193 times)

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
Question on options
« on: February 09, 2018, 08:02:15 PM »
I think the louvered / turn signal hood is a stand alone option? Was it used on all GTs?

How about front bumper guards?

Were c stripe colors coordinated with exterior colors?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Question on options
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 08:49:40 PM »
Pete what year are you asking about?   Might result in different correct answers ;)

Guessing your asking about 68 just want to be sure before responses for both years pour in   ::)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 09:07:43 PM »
In 67 it was part of the exterior décor group. In 68 it was standard equipment till after the strike where it became optional again.
Front and back bumper guards were standard in 67 and in 68 till after the strike there they were packaged with the wheel opening moldings 
Yes you could only get certain stripe colors with particular paint colors.
Marty
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 09:15:31 PM by ruppstang »

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 09:19:35 PM »
When it became optional after the strike (probably not including the cars sitting unfinished and idled on the line which would all have them), was that a stand alone option or back to like' 67 as part of the exterior décor option?
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 09:32:51 PM »
..........Yes you could only get certain stripe colors with particular paint colors.

Marty You certain of that statement? 

Since most cars were  built to ordered would think that you would not be limited to the recommended color combinations. Using examples from the years prior and after as possibilities. Haven't gone through 67 and 68s in detail to see if I have examples of other combinations - just asking at this point   

For mine and others reference the graphics you posted are for 68 it appears
Jeff Speegle

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 09:57:43 PM »
No not certain I used the stripe parameters for the GT/CS thought it would might be the same as GT strips. I will have to continue to look for the Ford information. Stay tuned

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 10:47:05 PM »
So, sorry, yes 1968.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2018, 12:42:44 AM »
Not a Ford document but what I found so far.

Offline 196667Bob

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2018, 03:57:19 AM »
Not a Ford document but what I found so far.

Marty : While not a Ford document (looks like it came from a 1968 Illustrated Facts booklet), its contents appear to have come from a Ford document ; a 1968 Color and Upholstery Book to be exact.
While I don't have a 1968 C & U Book, I do have a 1967, and I have attached a copy of a similar page from it.

As I noted to Jeff in an earlier thread as to where some information originated, the original publishers grabbed information on just Mustangs from Fords "All the Facts" Books/ Binders, and lumped it together in booklets and called them "196x Mustang Illustrated Facts", doing this for each year. Obviously, they also included "cuts" from the C & U books. And of course being a time before Ford Licensing came into play, but not risking any copyright infringement issues, the publishers never referenced from where the information originated.

Bob
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2018, 04:27:56 AM »
As mentioned above I believe these are recommended or suggested combination but like other years owners ordering their cars could choose how they wanted to have their new cars built without going through any special order paperwork and request. As we have seen this can result in some very rare  ::)  and interesting combinations
Jeff Speegle

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2018, 08:56:50 AM »
As mentioned above I believe these are recommended or suggested combination but like other years owners ordering their cars could choose how they wanted to have their new cars built without going through any special order paperwork and request. As we have seen this can result in some very rare  ::)  and interesting combinations
Agreed that in that time if you had the cash you could get almost any thing you wanted. I have seen a 67 convertible Springtime yellow with a aqua interior, a 67 S code coupe that was Dusk rose with a Ivy Green interior ( boy that one had to be a one of one) and this black GTCS with a blue that started a thread on califorinaspecial.com. It is too bad that the Marti report does not include the stripe color.

I think to answer the original question yes the colors were coordinated but not mandated.   

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2018, 09:28:59 AM »
When it became optional after the strike (probably not including the cars sitting unfinished and idled on the line which would all have them), was that a stand alone option or back to like' 67 as part of the exterior décor option?
I do not know and could not find the answer. I would assume that it was a stand alone option because the other parts of the 67 exterior décor option were either now standard or part of another option group.   

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2018, 12:57:42 PM »
Not a 67-68, but just as another example, I have pics of a yellow '65 with red interior.  Original door plate to back it up as legit. 
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Scott Fuller

• Scott Fuller Reproductions
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2018, 01:59:01 PM »
I think the louvered / turn signal hood is a stand alone option? Was it used on all GTs?

Not on CJ.
68 "135" Mustang, 68.5 Blck Mustang CJ Cnvrt, 68 Rd HCS (fact 428), 68 Ac Bl Mustang GT Cnvrt, 68 Ylw GT500KR Cnvrt, 68 Hlnd Grn GT500KR Cnvrt, 68 Gld G.T. 500 Cnvrt, 68 Ryl Maroon Mustang Sprint Cpe, 68.5 Hlnd Grn Fstbck, 68.5 Ylw Mustang Fstbck. Visit my website www.scottfullerreproductions.com