Author Topic: leaf spring clamp installation  (Read 7107 times)

Offline evantugby

leaf spring clamp installation
« on: February 18, 2018, 10:40:06 PM »
Is there a specific tool to put these leaf spring clamps on? How are you guys doing it? 

Second question: do you put them on before leaf springs are mounted to kar?  they're in installed?
1966 GT, 6T09K13, Born 23 Oct 1965

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: leaf spring clamp installation
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 11:09:19 PM »
Second question: do you put them on before leaf springs are mounted to kar?  they're in installed?

When in doubt copy what the factory did   ;) They were installed to the springs before they were shipped to the car assembly plants

Is there a specific tool to put these leaf spring clamps on? How are you guys doing it? 

Series of C clamps. Believe someone posted a series of pictures of the arrangement in a prior thread

Remember to protect surfaces from scratching the spring or clamp finishes.

1- Springs bolted together- held secure to a bench or some form of holder.

2- One C clamp to hold the clamp in place to the spring. If you center it or slightly off center towards the side with the hole in the strap

3- One C clamp to hold the sides into the spring.

4-  Collapse/bend the end of the strap with the tab to the spring surface. If you off set the first C clamp then you can close it completely.

5- Remove the first c clamp if you haven't already and close the other end of the strap and engage the tab tightly

You done - remove everything and move on to the next one. Don't forget the insulator
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 11:24:11 PM »
I use a bench vise with smooth jaws and a hammer.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline evantugby

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 11:29:24 PM »
When in doubt copy what the factory did   ;) They were installed to the springs before they were shipped to the car assembly plants

Series of C clamps. Believe someone posted a series of pictures of the arrangement in a prior thread

Remember to protect surfaces from scratching the spring or clamp finishes.

1- Springs bolted together- held secure to a bench or some form of holder.

2- One C clamp to hold the clamp in place to the spring. If you center it or slightly off center towards the side with the hole in the strap

3- One C clamp to hold the sides into the spring.

4-  Collapse/bend the end of the strap with the tab to the spring surface. If you off set the first C clamp then you can close it completely.

5- Remove the first c clamp if you haven't already and close the other end of the strap and engage the tab tightly

You done - remove everything and move on to the next one. Don't forget the insulator

Thanks Jeff!  I'll knock this out tomorrow.  It's a federal holiday so a down day.  :)  BTW, when you say clamp insulator, you're referring to the rubber insulator already attached to each spring clamp in the picture, correct?  If so mine came attached. 

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 11:34:01 PM »
..................... BTW, when you say clamp insulator, you're referring to the rubber insulator already attached to each spring clamp in the picture, correct?  If so mine came attached.

Yes one in the same. Forget it or it falls off your not going to be happy
Jeff Speegle

Offline evantugby

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 10:02:06 AM »
Copy that!  Thank you.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 10:07:32 AM »
NOTE:
I have seen a dimple on the sides of original straps, not found on the reproductions that I have bought. Perhaps this had to do with how they were "pinched/bent" around the springs?
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 06:12:38 PM »
NOTE:
I have seen a dimple on the sides of original straps, not found on the reproductions that I have bought. Perhaps this had to do with how they were "pinched/bent" around the springs?

Not sure if that detail was there on all years and both styles of clamps.  Do your clamps have the round or square tab hole?
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 06:31:28 PM »
Not sure if that detail was there on all years and both styles of clamps.  Do your clamps have the round or square tab hole?

Square tab hole. These are off a Sept '66 dated pair of springs I had sent in from So. Calif.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 09:43:23 PM »
Square tab hole. These are off a Sept '66 dated pair of springs I had sent in from So. Calif.

Need to look through a bunch of pictures for additional documentation, details and examples
Jeff Speegle

Offline evantugby

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2018, 11:58:21 AM »
I am hoping to install my leaf spring clamps today.  I am trying to find the correct positioning and also if my 1966 Metuchen kar had round or square tab holes.  My springs are:  C4ZA5556S with build dates of 295E5

Thank you! 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 12:21:18 PM by evantugby »

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2018, 01:46:45 PM »
Is this a good thread to discuss the change over date from square to round tab hole?

On edit -- see my reply 14 below.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 03:27:22 PM by Bossbill »
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline evantugby

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2018, 02:32:15 PM »
Found some concours pictures online showing the correct location for leaf spring clamps.  Wanted to provide a few pictures for those who want to know how to install leaf spring clamps.  This set of springs is C4ZA-5556S off of my 1966 Metuchen k-code fastback. 

Pic 1:  Clamps used to keep leaf springs straight.  Note the c-clap used on the left to help the leaf spring clamp fit tight to the leaf spring.
Pic 2:  Important:  Clamps will have a two short, two medium, & two long sizes.  Make sure to line these up in correct spot
Pic 3:  Use c-clamp tool to hold clamp in place
Pic 4:  Use soft mallet to start making the bend around the leaf spring.  Then use c-clamps to help make the bend final and tight on both sides of clamp. 
Pic 5:  Use soft mallet to bend tabs over.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 02:45:35 PM by evantugby »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2018, 02:51:40 PM »
Is this a good thread to discuss the change over date from square to round tab hole?

Bob Gaines was surprised that my 67 SJ springs (date coded C7 -- 040) were square.

Since that would be a year specific discussion I suggest a new thread in the 67-8 section. :)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2018, 03:26:27 PM »
New thread for 67-68 leaf spring clamp eye changeover date created here:
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=17767.msg112222#msg112222
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion