Author Topic: Coil spring perches for a 68  (Read 1887 times)

Offline 68 S Code

Coil spring perches for a 68
« on: November 15, 2010, 10:27:02 PM »
Two questions on the spring perches which get mounted to upper control arms. The perches I have are motorcraft parts purchased in 87. They were painted black from the factory so I stripped the paint and they are natural steel now. Question one is regarding rubber pads which were mounted on the seats front and back. Did the cars originally come out of factory with these. I could imagine that re engineering could have taken place to quiet squeaky spring issues. Second question pertains to nut on studs. Would these have been dyed red? These pertain to a end of the model year Dearborn car.

Offline T Lea

• Global Moderator
Re: Coil spring perches for a 68
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 10:42:43 PM »
No rubber on the seats. I think nuts where just cad, I don't remember seeing red there.

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 04:18:24 PM »
+1

Cadmium nuts without the red dye.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 10:32:35 PM »
Thanks guys. I had a feeling that ford started adding the rubber as a later replacement part. Odd that so many fasteners got red dye but these did not. I find it hard to believe that nuts for the front rear spring bolt didn't get dyed. Figured that one would have been critical.

Offline 68 GT

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 01:39:48 PM »
So, coil spring perches did not come with rubber from the factory? Ours is a 67 NJ coupe, 289. I don't have the perches in front of me, wasn't sure if they had rubber on them or not. If not, seems like our perches should be a good candidate for EvapoRust during our restoration!
VIN 7T01C246XXX
Actual build date 5-11-67

VIN 8F01J208XXX
Actual build date 6-27-68

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2021, 04:34:02 PM »
So, coil spring perches did not come with rubber from the factory? Ours is a 67 NJ coupe, 289. I don't have the perches in front of me, wasn't sure if they had rubber on them or not. If not, seems like our perches should be a good candidate for EvapoRust during our restoration!
No rubber on the coil spring contact point of the spring perch from the factory. That was a later service part evolution.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby