Author Topic: 1982 Mustang GT hatchback value  (Read 2841 times)

Offline 67gta289

1982 Mustang GT hatchback value
« on: June 20, 2020, 02:33:38 PM »
Found one in junkyard, no rust visible on exterior...did not check under yet, will have to punch the lock.  Has glass and spoiler.  Any idea on value so that I can determine if it is worth the cost and time?

It appears to be complete except the engine.  Buckets and console still in place.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline jwc66k

Re: 1982 Mustang GT hatchback value
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 04:27:50 PM »
John,
Try https://www.nadaguides.com/ You will get a range of prices, high to low.
Remember: selling price - minus cost to restore - minus cost to buy = equals worth.
The "fun" part sometimes offsets everything.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 04:30:39 PM »
Sorry Jim - I was asking about the value of the hatchback "lid", not the whole car.   To me it would be a parts donor source to help others get completed or get better.
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Cobra Jet

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 02:32:08 PM »
The hatchback itself isn’t worth the $$$ - but the spoiler on it is where the value is at, since they are not reproduced.  It’s a 3-piece spoiler and was the same used on the 1979 Pace Car.  Usually if the fiberglass is not damaged at all (no cracks and no damages to the threaded stud inserts on bottom), those spoilers can go for upwards of $200+.

The other parts of value on it would be if it has the Marcal fog lights and the associated fog light bar - bonus if the fog light covers are still on them OR thrown inside the car somewhere.  Just the fog light covers by themselves are usually selling between $50-$150 a set - depending on condition AND rarity of color/style.  There was black, grey and white w/checkered flag.

The front bumper cover is also of value IF it’s not damaged.  Again it’s not a reproduced part and is pretty much similar to if not the same as used on the 79 Pace Car.  $200-$300, depending on condition.

The front hood scoop can be valuable to some folks as well $90-$150 depending on condition.

- Phil
1994 Cobra coupe SVT Build #0013

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 03:13:21 PM »
Phil, thanks for the info.  Not much going on up front...  How about bucket seats and console?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 03:15:23 PM by 67gta289 »
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Cobra Jet

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 12:16:43 PM »
Phil, thanks for the info.  Not much going on up front...  How about bucket seats and console?

The front bucket seats, IF they were the optional Recaros with the open hoop headrest - the headrests alone can fetch upwards of $100-$150, depending on condition.  The hoops were a pressed/molded formed foam with a texture that simulated vinyl grain - so with time, age and how the car was taken care of, sometimes the foam surface cracked.  I’m not aware of anyone who makes reproductions of those headrests.  These were similar headrests to the same Recaro seats used in the 1979 Pace Car; the PC headrests had a mesh or netting instead of being an open hoop.

If the upholstery is good on the seats - can be cleaned and is not severely faded or destroyed by weather/rodents - a pair of those seats complete with headrests - in MINT condition can fetch up to $1500.00+, because of their rarity. Usually the upholstery is very faded or the seat foam is destroyed.  If the upholstery/foam is shot, the seat frames themselves being Recaros are still worth money to someone in need of a base to start with for restoration.  $200-$300 for beat up Recaros is pretty much all you would be able to get - and due to size/weight would have to be local sale.  The specific “tiger stripe” upholstery is what makes them very unique today, and that upholstery is most common in black, red and others are harder to come by.

I can’t tell from the forward pic if it has those seats - I don’t see a headrest but again hard to tell from image or if the headrest has been removed.

Take a look at the original brochure picture I’m including in this post - the upper image of the GT Seat is the Recaro with the hoop headrest.  The image below it showing the black interior, that was the standard Mustang GT vinyl interior seating - just basic seats.

Now the center console from 1979 to 1986 remained unchanged EXCEPT for the forward “info center”.  The design and LED colors changed over the years.  I can’t recall all of the revisions as the years progressed but the earlier version were most basic.  That info center comes off the console - usually these are seen at flea markets, swap meets or online anywhere from $20-$100 depending on year and condition. 

The actual console body shell is what remained unchanged.  The console lid was interchangeable for all of 79-86, as was the entire body and e-brake “tray”.

The console is really made up of 5 parts:
1) Forward info center
2) Shifter bezel
3) E-brake tray
4) Main body/shell
5) Console lid

Now - I don’t know what color interior that has, but if it’s black - an original solid black, damage free center console (complete), you can easily get $200-$300 for it.  The console lid alone, if it has not cracked, usually black is rarest and those are approx. $50-$100 again depending on overall condition.

The Dash Gauge bezel in a 1982 GT was all black, as well as the matching part over the glove box.  Again, these days both are a rare piece and if it’s not damaged - you can easily get $100-$125 for the set.  The gauge cluster was not anything special, but if it’s there might as well grab it and try to get about $50-$60 for it.

I’m sure the original top dash pad is either long gone, or totally rotted, cracked or destroyed in it.  If it were good, and if it is black - again black is rare color - an easy $150-$200 if not damaged.

The rear interior L & R 1/4 panel plastics, plus the wrap around by rear taillights in hatch, if black may be worth it to someone restoring an early Fox, but due to size - very hard to ship to sell let alone expensive, so local sales is only way to unload them.  If not damaged, not faded and can be cleaned to look very good - easy $100 for the set.

The 79-82 rear tail lights today are hard to come by, especially since everyone swapped them out (or tried to) to the 83-93 style.  If those are still there and can be cleaned up (washed and lens polished), you can easily get $100 for the pair, maybe more.

Early 79-82 as built factory Black interiors are very hard to come by today.  Most of the 79-82 interiors were brown, red (most popular) blue or white.  People seek the black interiors when wanting to do a color conversion OR to restore damaged black intieor components.  So if that GT has an original black interior and the pieces are in very good shape - grab everything you can noted above (and then some).

« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 01:21:51 PM by Cobra Jet »
- Phil
1994 Cobra coupe SVT Build #0013

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 12:31:38 PM »
Phil, thanks for all of those details.  The car is currently difficult to approach due to overgrown foliage, poison ivy, and ticks.   I’ll probably go after it in October. 
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660