Author Topic: correct jack for 66 SJ Coupe  (Read 3968 times)

Offline Panther

• Bronze Level Subscriber
    • Early Mustang
correct jack for 66 SJ Coupe
« on: February 19, 2011, 11:48:35 AM »
i found these two jacks which are currently on german ebay:

First the Jacks:

The top one: I read that jacks for 69 and later have two idetations on top, forming a "cross". Here the second identation looks dfifferent to those I've seen on these type of jacks. Also i've read that the jacks differ around the area where the threads go through but coudn't find any info about the differences per se. Could you tell me more about it and would this jack be correct for my 66 SJ coupe?

The bottom one: I assume that this one is incorrect for a 66 coupe, right? Could it be a replacement style jack or one used on younger cars?

The Wrenches:

On VMF User 67shelby wrote that in 1966 a flip style was used (i assume one like on the pics?) but the MCA Rules say: ratchet wrench . My car came with a ratchet wrench style (looks like on the following picture of Mustang Monthlys article about detailing trunks). What is now correct?

Paul
6R07C214274
65A 8 D6 11F 71 6 6

Certified MCA Judge 1964.5-1966

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
Re: correct jack for 66 SJ Coupe
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 10:02:37 AM »
I am certainly NO jack expert, but my feeling without seeing these jacks in person or knowing any numbers from them is the TOP one is an "early" jack and the wrench is nothing I've ever seen in any Ford product I've ever owned.

The BOTTOM one looks like a "later" jack with the "service replacement" folding wrench.

I agree that the '65-'66s were originally supplied with the rachet type wrenches and thats what the MCA judges want to see....Charles and Jeff please correct me if I'm wrong.....

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 11:32:07 PM »
I am certainly NO jack expert, but my feeling without seeing these jacks in person or knowing any numbers from them is the TOP one is an "early" jack and the wrench is nothing I've ever seen in any Ford product I've ever owned.

That handle with the bell shaped end was used on 67 Shelby's also. The one with 13/16 was used on hubcap /steel wheel cars and tenspoke cars. Another handle that looked the same but 3/4 sized was for mag star equipped cars. It apparently was used on other Mustang applications as it's shape can be seen in the illustration of the early 67 Mustang jacking instruction sticker. The mentioning of the different shaped jacks where the screw fits into the assembly is something I have noticed also. I have noticed two different types. My opinion is it was a vendor thing more so then a year thing. The coarse or fine thread screw is also another point of discussion. The thread seems to be a vendor thing too IMHO.  I have noticed a abundance of course thread screws on 69 Dearborn cars . A "RH" is another mark I have seen on 69 Dearborn cars. I haven't seen any early Dearborn cars with it yet but I haven't studied a lot of early Dearborn cars like others have ether.  I have seen both kinds of threads (coarse and fine) in the trunks of a variety of year and plants. These are just opinions that I have as of today based on observations I have seen so far.  I haven't put in the time or observations to make sense of it all yet. My studies have a lot of gaps and it is a evolving effort. With the help of my forum friends I am hopeful I will get further clarification.Bob   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Panther

• Bronze Level Subscriber
    • Early Mustang
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 03:24:27 PM »
C5ZZKGT: Thanks for the info! :)

The mentioning of the different shaped jacks where the screw fits into the assembly is something I have noticed also. I have noticed two different types.

I think I've seen three different types, i'll try to collect some pics to show them.

My opinion is it was a vendor thing more so then a year thing.

I hope so, otherwise it will be difficult to find the correct one. This way many versions could be correct.

The coarse or fine thread screw is also another point of discussion. The thread seems to be a vendor thing too IMHO.  I have noticed a abundance of course thread screws on 69 Dearborn cars . A "RH" is another mark I have seen on 69 Dearborn cars. I haven't seen any early Dearborn cars with it yet but I haven't studied a lot of early Dearborn cars like others have ether.  I have seen both kinds of threads (coarse and fine) in the trunks of a variety of year and plants.

I thought course threads were only on early (64.5) jacks, at least when it's about the 64.5-66 mustangs.
Thanks for your help!
Paul
6R07C214274
65A 8 D6 11F 71 6 6

Certified MCA Judge 1964.5-1966

Offline rodster

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 10:28:40 PM »

Here's some additional jack info and photos including one picture with a 7B stamping (date code?)

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=1295.msg6676#msg6676

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=1872.msg9693#msg9693

The jack in the top picture looks like the jack from my 67 Dearborn car, which is stamped 7A, and the handle in the second picture is the same as my jack handle, both of which I believe to be original to the car.

1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 11:33:52 PM »
Here's some additional jack info and photos including one picture with a 7B stamping (date code?)

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=1295.msg6676#msg6676

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=1872.msg9693#msg9693

The jack in the top picture looks like the jack from my 67 Dearborn car, which is stamped 7A, and the handle in the second picture is the same as my jack handle, both of which I believe to be original to the car.
The marking on the on jack is a partial stamp and is supposed to be a " RH " in a circle. I have only seen those  jacks from Dearborn cars although I am not sure if they were used in other plants . Also if you compare the over all length there is a short and long jack . The only pattern I have noticed is that the short jack was used on 65/66 and the longer one for 67-70. I have often wondered if it had to do with the larger heavier body style of a 67-70 . I too have noticed some with and some without date codes. I think it is a vendor thing. Just a few observations although I have to admit not 100% nailed down. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby